Just signed up yesterday!
    Mom2Alexis is offline Junior Member

Default Just signed up yesterday!

Hello from east Tennessee. My name is Karen and I just signed my 12 year old daughter up yesterday! I'm excited but incredibly nervous! My plan is to use T4L as a summer supplement. Although she will attend tutoring sessions two days a week over the summer, I feel that she would benefit from even more. I have always toyed with the idea of homeschooling but she has a disability and really needs the social aspect of school. Also, she can really push my buttons and for her sanity and mine a "break" from each other's company really makes our relationship stronger! I look forward to being part of the T4L family and networking with other parents. I would also welcome any tips/advice on getting started, how to get the most of the program etc. Thanks!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Karen,
    I responded to your other post and asked the very questions that you answered here.
    I'm glad you are using it for summer work, though it also works well for homeschooling, we've been using it for 5 years and counting!
    I would suggest that you check out The Time4Learning Getting Started Guide and maybe even the Welcome to Homeschooling Guide.

Both have some great tips for getting started!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Hello,

I am using T4L as a summer school thing as well. I am hoping it will help keep my daughter from regression and also using it as a trial to see if I would be able to hack having her home all the time and getting her to do her work.

My tip I would give from what I have seen so far is have your child take the quiz first. The sections they passed it marks automatically that they completed it so you are not wasting time relearning stuff and keeping records of tons of items that were just teaching lessons and have no graded value. Then the ones not marked they can cover and retake the quiz for a higher score. No worries my daughter found out quickly that it is not the same quiz so you actually have to know it.
    I give this tip because as you do T4L you will see what your school covers and what it did not. My daughter gets bored really quick if its something she knows really well. There are some she wants to do anyway and I let her because eventually she will get bored of it and move on to something else. There are some lessons she does just for the fun of it because she likes the pictures and cartoons that go with it. She has 3 years of lessons in one subject so if you want the lessons varied in more than one subject you have to check it frequently. My daughter would stay on one subject and never change to another one if she could as long as it kept advancing. Which would be fine if it was a subject she has difficulty with.

Chena83 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am using this program as a summer supliment for ny that is going to be a 4th grader and my twins that will be going into kindergartin. I am just trying to get a balance of what they should be doing and if the material will help advance their skills. I am really looking for to reviewing the program.