Kansas Homeschooler just getting started
    DandyBrandee is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Kansas Homeschooler just getting started

Hi. My name is Brandee. I am new to homeschooling. I have 2 kids. I started this venture by first, only pulling my 3rd grader out of public school after Christmas. I was hoping to ease into it and be an expert by next fall when I then start homeschooling my now 1st grader.
    I find though, that I am far from being an expert on the subject of homeschooling. I have many questions and even more doubts. I find myself doubting myself everyday. Feeling like I am missing something or not doing a good enough job "teaching".
    Perhaps Virtual School is the way to go for me... not sure.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Brandee, and welcome. First off let me tell you that I don't know that any of us feel like "experts," lol. I've been homeschooling since 2005 and I certainly don't feel like I know all there is to know about homeschooling. Gosh...sometimes I feel like a brand new homeschooler! Each year is different, and while my boys are similar they are also very different (and 5 years apart). That means that each grade level can be a new learning experience. Just because I know how my oldest handled 4th grade, doesn't mean I have a clue what's going to happen with my youngest's 4th grade year.

I'm not telling you this to make you even more nervous. I'm trying to say that you shouldn't feel you have to be an expert to successfully homeschool your kiddos. You guys will learn and make this experience your own as you go. And you'll do fine. Online support, like what can be found here, was what got me through (and still gets me through) my nerves and doubts. We have members here who basically do school at home...they have a classroom and a schedule and everything. Then we have members who unschool and let their kids direct their own learning. Then we have everyone in between, lol. We have members who have graduated kids who never set foot in a public or private school, and we have members who have kids that go back and forth between homeschooling and public school. Poke around all the boards and see who you can meet. I bet reading about others' experiences will be as comforting to you as it was to me...

One last thing - I'd like to invite you to join the Kansas homeschool forum. You might be able to find others near you, and at the very least keep up with homeschool happenings going on around you.

Looking forward to seeing you around...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Brandee.
    We've been homeschooling our 3 kids 12 years now. I agree with Katie. I haven't met a homeschooler that considers themselves an expert. We all have our good days and our bad days. We all have used curriculum that worked and some that didn't. The good thing about T4L is that you don't have to invest a whole lot of money only to find out you're 'stuck' with something that doesn't work with your child. You are free to cancel at any time. And I believe there is actually a 50% off cost to new members this month.

Our daughter has been using T4L for almost 4 years now. She loves the interactive and animated lessons. I love the printable progress reports, which make record-keeping so easy....and that there is little to no teacher planning involved. But I think what I like best is that she enjoys learning with T4L and I never have to fuss with her to do school.

Brandee, if you look over to the right-hand side of this page, you will find a link to a Homeschooling Guide. I have looked through it and referred some friends to it who are new homeschoolers. Lots of good tips and info. Lastly, the one thing that has helped me most as a new and veteran homeschooler is getting connected with other homeschoolers. Find a homeschool support group in your area. It may be as simple as doing a Google search, like Kansas homeschool support groups....or maybe your county or city. Let me encourage you by saying that homeschooling is a way of life...you've been homeschooling and probably don't even know it. And like anything in life, there are times we make a wrong choice (like choice of curriculum), but we just learn from it and move past it. I've learned with my children and share amazing memories and experiences. I have grown in so many ways. Each year will get easier.

Good luck in whatever you choose!!
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 04-20-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass