Learning Disabilities
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo
  • 1 Post By rritchey

Thread: Learning Disabilities

rritchey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Learning Disabilities

I have a child who has learning disabilities. My question is when they complete a chapter and take a quiz if they fail it can it be retaken and the grade change? If so how do I do it? I am not very computer savy. Please help!!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hello, yes, your child can retake the quizzes. What happens with the grade is that the "fail" grade and the new grade are averaged as far as the program is concerned. Because of the state you have listed (Tx) I'm pretty sure you don't have to turn in grades, but I know it can be discouraging to see a lower average score when your child retook and made so much better of a grade. The program doesn't remove the failed grade.

However, there are things you can do. Here is how I deal with it, I'm sure other parents have their own methods for managing the grades. Personally, I require my daughter to retake the quiz if she makes below an 80%. I do not average the fail with the pass grade. When I print out the reports I simply mark through the fail grade, and then recalculate the average and replace the average scores with the new average. You can also just overlook the average, keeping in mind that by retaking the quiz and passing that you can be pretty sure she gets the concept. I know this might not answer your questions but I hope it helps!
    bailbrae likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

rritchey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for the information. It helped a lot.
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We also retake tests/quizzes if my boys score less than 80. If they can tell me they understand WHY they got the answers wrong, then I let them just retake the quiz. If they tell me that they don't understand why answers were wrong, or they make less than an 80 the second time around, we go through the whole lesson again...with me sitting right there with them to make sure they are grasping before proceeding. Like Linda, I don't worry about the program average, I will make my own average with the passing score.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!