Looking for advice
    Navyfamily is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Looking for advice

Hello everyone,

My name is Samantha and I am trying to decide if homeschooling is the right choice for me and my family. I am not happy with our local schools and I have been going back and forth with the option to home school next year. I have 2 children who are 6 and 8, I am concerned with what goes on in our school system and some of the teachers in it as well. I have a special needs child and he doesn't react well to teachers yelling and screaming and the school he would attend next year is full of them. My daughter doesn't seem to have any issues but she has been exposed to some situations that I am not please with as well as some children I would prefer she not be around. I can't control who goes to school where but I can control where my children go and I am leaning towards home schooling them. I wanted to see what advice you all have, thanks.

Samantha

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Samantha, and welcome! I have been homeschooling since 2005. I never set out to homeschool, it just...happened, lol. I pulled my then 1st grader out of public school two months after he started 1st grade. He changed. Became miserable. I had a "Mama Bear" moment and pulled him out in a fit of anger, only to realize AFTER that, that we couldn't swing a private school, lol. I ended up with a lot of support for homeschooling from family (with my husband being the biggest supporter) and thought we could at least try it. We thought we would get through 1st grade and put him back in for 2nd grade. As it turns out, homeschooling has been one of the best decisions we ever made! My oldest (the one we pulled out in 1st grade) is finishing up 8th grade this year, and has NO desire to attend a public school again, lol. We have an amazing family relationship and I honestly believe that we wouldn't be so close if the kids were in public school. So, in short, I'm a big advocate for homeschooling.

Having said alllll that...it's not for everyone. And if it doesn't work for your or your kiddos, you shouldn't feel like a failure or like YOU couldn't make it work. Some kids take to football, some kids don't. Same with homeschooling I suppose, lol. I would suggest checking out the homeschool laws in your state, and making sure it sounds like you could do what the state asks you to do. Then I would suggest you hang out in as many online forums, like this one, as you can. Read about the different homeschooling methods and how different families approach home education. We have several different boards here, like this Special Needs one, and this Texas homeschool forum. There's also this Welcome to Homeschooling guide that could prove to be a good resource for you. Just grab a beverage and hunker down. Take in as much info as you can, and maybe tip-toe into homeschooling over the summer. Do a few things here and there and see what happens...

Good luck. Please feel free to ask any questions you have, and please keep us posted as to how things are going with you and what decision you made.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Samantha.
    We've been homeschooling our 3 kids for 12 years. We love homeschooling! Our oldest is 17 and has one more year. She's dual enrolling in college and homeschooling at home. Our youngest has Down syndrome, and she's been using T4L for 4 years now. She enjoys learning with the animated interactive lessons.

As I read your post, I was thinking of suggesting you try T4L for the summer. Also, do you know any homeschoolers? Maybe you can find a homeschool support group near you. You could attend some of their outings or meetings and get to know homeschooling families.

Like Katie, homeschooling is the best choice we have ever made for our family. We love being together, learning together, making memories together. Over the years we have nurtured friendships with other homeschool families who have kids that are near the same age as our kids. It has just turned out that way. We go camping, have beach outings, the kids attend each other's parties, events and youth groups together. So my daughter and son don't have different friends. Even though they are 2 1/2 years apart, they hang out together with mutual friends. And our kids hang out with kids much younger or older than they are....or easily talk with adults. Today, for example, we all got together at one family's home. There were kids ranging in ages between 2 and 17. They all played and hung out together. The 17-year-old playing with the little ones as easily as hanging out with the older ones.

Anyway, we cannot imagine it being any different. I can also add that we have 2 older kids who are now adults and attended public school all the way through. They were in high school when we started homeschooling. They were very active in school and I thought I couldn't homeschool high school. Our oldest daughter is now homeschooling her daughter. Our son is planning to homeschool, also.

Lastly, let me just encourage you to try it over the summer....or even next year. It doesn't have to be a final choice. The kids can always go back to school if you find it's not for you. Do read as much as you can from homeschoolers...books, blogs, forums. I checked out every book they had at the library on homeschooling. Today there's the internet. And if/when you choose to homeschool, don't try to duplicate what the schools do at home. Learning takes place every waking moment. For us, it's a life of learning and adventures....not textbooks. I would say just focus on math and reading. Do lots of reading together. Foster a love of learning.

Good luck on making the right choice for your family!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass