Lots of questions - determining if homeschooling is right for us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By MomWags

Thread: Lots of questions - determining if homeschooling is right for us

Rebbyriffic is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Lots of questions - determining if homeschooling is right for us

Hello-
    I’m considering homeschooling as an option for my highly ADHD child. I was wondering if participants in WI can give me some information or direct me where I can find out how to (or if I need to) put modifications in for adjusting to his abilities. We currently have an IEP in place. His behavior in School is the primary focus. I feel the other students and the atmosphere is a disctraction from his ability to focus and learn. His behavior is a lot worse in the school environment vs at home. He is in 3rd grade but at a k5/1st grade reading level (D). If we are supposed to test to prove he is making progress, how do I legally allow for adjustments in his expectations?

Also, are there any curriculums that have served well for your special needs student?

Thanks !

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lots of questions - determining if homeschooling is right for us

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I'm not in Wisconsin, but I have a lot of experience interpreting homeschool laws AND with my own son, who has significant special needs. This is just my "homeschool mom's" understanding of Wisconsin homeschool law, so you should study, know, and understand your state's laws yourself.

Wisconsin doesn't require standardized testing, and they only require that your curriculum "progresses" (see #6 below), so your child can work at different grade levels in each subject and proceed at his own pace. It's GREAT that there is a state that doesn't push them along.

1. File an annual report.

Every year on or before October 15, you must file a statement of enrollment (PI-1206 form) with the Department of Public Instruction (DPI). This can be done online via the DPIs website.
    Your statement must state how many students in the elementary and high school grades were enrolled in your homeschool as of the third Friday in September. It must also certify that:

• your homeschools main purpose is to provide private education or religious-based (and not to circumvent the compulsory school attendance laws);
    • your homeschool is privately controlled;
    • your homeschool will provide at least 875 hours of instruction during the school year; and
    • your homeschool will provide a sequentially progressive curriculum in reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, science and health.

Be sure to save copies of all your completed PI-1206 forms. If you cannot prove you filed the statement of enrollment during the years your child was in high school, some employers and government agencies may not recognize your students high school education as legitimate.

2. Have the main purpose of providing private or religious-based education.

Under Wisconsin law, the main purpose of your homeschool must be to provide private or religious-based educationnot to circumvent compulsory school attendance laws.

3. Be privately controlled.

Your homeschool must be privately controlled. (In other words, a public school or other government agency cannot operate a homeschool program.)

4. Provide the required period of instruction.

Your homeschool program must provide at least 875 hours of instruction each school year (July 1 to June 30). Keep track of your hours well enough that you could document 875 hours of instruction per year. Your records showing your student received 875 hours of instruction for each of his or her four years of high school should be maintained in your permanent records.

(This is Kelly speaking. Parents legitimately count Scouts, 4H, arts and crafts, church or other organizational activities, piano lessons and music practice, organized sports such as Little League or driveway basketball with a sibling, volunteer work or part time jobs, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics as "school" time. Just keep a calendar or log and write things on it as they occur, such as "walk around the block, thirty minutes, P.E." or "cooked dinner for family, one hour, Home Ec" or "grocery shopping, matched coupons to items and learned about unit pricing stickers, 45 minutes, Math - or Life Skills - or Home Ec. You get the idea. )

5. Teach the required subjects.

You must provide instruction in the following subjects:

• reading,
    • language arts,
    • mathematics,
    • social studies,
    • science and health.

Your records showing your student received instruction in these subjects during all four years of high school should be maintained in your permanent records.

(Kelly again. Wisconsin says you need to teach the subjects above, but they do not dictate the content of the subjects. So anything that can reasonably be called "reading" or "health" or whatever is fine.)

6. Move your curriculum from simple to complex concepts.

The curriculum must be sequentially progressivein other words, as you teach, you move from simpler to more challenging concepts or skills.

I hope this information helps get you started. Here's some additional information about Using Time4Learning to Homeschool in Wisconsin. You might also want to post in the Special Needs section of this forum.
    EllaHelberg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MomWags is offline Junior Member

Cool Re: Lots of questions - determining if homeschooling is right for us

Hello,

I am new to the homeschooling situation and while I do not have a lot of answers for how homeschooling will work for you, I can tell you my situation was very similar to yours. My son who is 3rd grade with an IEP and also highly ADHD, almost high functioning autistic, was behaving in school atrociously. I would get reports that he was attacking other students and the teachers. This was not my son! He was put in a special education class that was specialized in emotional disabled kids. However, I found that having 5 other boys that were also emotional disabled was like poring gasoline on the fire. Plus his report card showed he was falling behind in several subjects. Now my son is not a gun-ho student, but he did his work to keep up.

My husband and I decided to start researching homeschooling and finding what would work best for our son. Our biggest obstacle was my mother in law who was a special education public school teacher for almost 30 years. But even she finally relented into our decision when we gave her the details on what we had planned and how we were going to execute that plan. While I live next doorish to you in Michigan and our homeschooling laws are very relaxed, deciding to pull our son at Christmas break was our best decision for him.

We gave him a 3 week de-schooling break and just let him relax, color, read and play video games. The first week of starting into this program, we had a 7 day free trial which gave us the opportunity to not only check out the program but to test him for where he was in his knowledge/retention. He dove into the program and completed a lot of tests and loved it! He ended up testing out at a 2nd grade level in Language Arts and some 2nd grade Math he needed to learn and the rest into 3rd grade. That is when we decided to go full ahead with Time4Learning.

Now the first real week of normal schooling he did fuss a bit when it came to doing worksheets because he doesn't like writing, but he loves the whole doing the rest on the computer. We are able to make a detailed plan that not only incorporated the subjects he was behind in and the subjects he was equal to, but as well as create a second plan to speed him through his Math with the few chapters he needs to complete to get him caught up with where he should be.

We did our first couple science projects too. While we are not super creative, we did get him a Smithsonian science kit for Christmas. He liked having the ability to learn while doing a fun project he got for a present. Plus we told him he could have snow days like the public school he attended but still had to do his weekly work. He is quite okay with this. We also told him he could do a foreign language when he has caught up to where he should be academically. This has given him something to push for as he wants the ability to learn a couple foreign languages and eventually do the introduction to coding (wants to be a video game designer when he grows up).

My best advice for you is to do what you think is best for your student. They are the one that will either benefit or fail from their surroundings. Working with your student to find their level of time needed studying or break time will help you in the long run.

I hope this helped. Good luck and wish you the best in your decision.
    Last edited by MomWags; 01-29-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Spacing issues
    EllaHelberg likes this.