This may seem silly...
    LoriS381 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default This may seem silly...

Hi, everyone!

I am new here and I'm looking for some input. I just start homeschooling my 9 year old twins. They are adjusting well, but are not as willing to go to bed at the end of a day as they were when they went to public school. They are just not as tired. I think it's because they are just more challenged with their current curriculum and they can't turn off their minds, you know?

Anyway, I'm trying to think of ways to get them to go to bed on time. I don't mind if they read themselves to sleep after they are down for the night, I just need them to get more rest overall. This is the silly part...I have dogs that I used to put in their kennels when it was their bedtimes until they were fully potty trained and old enough to not destroy things when they were unattended. I found a site, www.privacypop.com, that sells bed tents. I'm thinking of getting one for each of my kids with the hope that they might have the same effects on them as the kennels did on my dogs. Meaning, I'm hoping they may help my twins adjust to their new schooling and schedule.

Does anyone think this will work or have any other ideas about how I can get my children to settle at the end of the day? I've tried increasing their allowances, begging, even threatening punishment, but have had no luck. Please help me if you can! Thank you!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi LoriS381, and welcome! It's not silly at all, lol...many families struggle with bedtimes and such. Especially when it sinks in that they don't HAVE to get up a certain time.

I don't know if the bed tents will work, but they sound COOL! I can tell you that my boys would love them.

One thing you might want to try is making them start to settle a little earlier. If their bedtime is 9, send them to bed at 830. If their bedtime is 8, send them at 730. They may take that extra time to play, but maybe they will start to settle on their own around the normal time you used to send them to bed.

It's tough. I'm not a morning person, so when we started homeschooling, I didn't mind them staying up a little later, and sleeping in a little later, lol.

I hope you find the suggestions you are looking for!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Bed time is a serious issue at our house. For a while it got so bad that my son was going to bed at 7:00am. He would then sleep until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. It was disastrous on our school work and our family life. I started getting him up earlier every day. Now he gets up between nine and ten. But he still stays up late. It's usually 12 or 1 before he is asleep. As far as the tent thing, my son loves his. He has a loft bed. He gathered up extra blankets from all over the house and put them around the top of his bed so they hang down and form a tent. He spread another quilt on the floor and that's where he sleeps. I have thought about getting him one of the tents that go on the bed but his bed is so high up that there is no room between the mattress and the ceiling. I am going to get a piece of foam cut to fit under his bed so he is not sleeping on the floor. I have thought about just getting rid of his bed completely and getting him a real tent to sleep in. But his dresser and bookcase are built in to the loft so we would have to figure out something for them.

Maybe they are still adjusting to not going to school. It may take them a bit of time to get used to the new schedule but I'll bet they settle down in time. My son has never been to school. He is also nine years old.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Ok, maybe I come at this from a whole different perspective. My daughter is not only ADHD, but she also has a sleep disorder. She is 11.5 years . I figure that one of the reasons we homeschool is because she could not get up and function for 7:30am every day. Some nights she doesn't even go to sleep until 5:30 or 6:00am some nights she can't sleep at all and the more nights of sleeplessness we have the harder it is for her to go to sleep. It is a chemical thing in the lining of her brain. So...with that in mind, and the fact that we homeschool because of flexibility, I get her up when I can, we work until school is done, and she goes to bed when she can. What this means is I get less me time, less adult time. But I don't fight about bed time. I don't have to put up with the whining, or the constant fight to try to get my daughter in bed at a certain time. We only have to get up early (6:30am) once a week for riding lessons, and so it is not a big deal to let her sleep until later in the morning. Again, the beauty of homeschooling is that we can be totally flexible.
    If you are heart set on a certain bed time, then they have to be up 12 hours before that. Since you are just starting homeschooling you and the kids may just be settling into a new rhythm, and that rhythm may be that they go to bed later and get up later. I'm with Katie...start a little later in the morning!
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 01-27-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

JuicePlusMum is offline Junior Member Newbie

I too have 9 year old twins - I am only homeschooling one at this point - long story.
    We have a system we follow, as we did when they were babies. Bedtime is 7.30pm
    at 5.30 pm no more electronic anything as it stimulates the brain, and depending on the
    type of children you have - this can be VERY bad! 7.00pm they go and get into PJ's and either have a bath or shower
    (warm water makes to drowsy) at 7.30 we do a devotion where we read a chapter from the bible and discuss it.
    You could read a book outloud to your kids - they get to hear book language which is invaluable for increased reading skills and comprehension.
    at aft devotions they are allowed to stay up and read until 8pm - then lights out and you go to sleep or just lie there until you do.

More exercise eariler inthe day or just plain freash wair will also make them more tired. Great PE games, like... who can touch the post over there, my shoe, the far fence, run the the little tree times then run backwards and touch your behinie on ........ Whatever you want. but you make it long at fast, short fat moves, something slow to catch their breath.

Nutrition and what they are eatting and how late can also play a large part in sleep patterns.

Hopw this helps some.....I am inclined to give TMI - sorry if I did - in is not intentional - just trying to bee helpful. Really, really tired - falling asleep at the keys - plse excse mistakes.

JuicePlusMum is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Lori,

My kids LOVE the tents - and they love having them to sleep in. I have two kids that still go to normall school so I have to be up at 5-5.30am to get everything running so they get on the bus on time (6.35am) So my son does sleep in a bit, as he read for a couple of hours most nights - but he is sleeping more now that he is homeschooled. He also goes to sleep faster.

My daughter and my son have Aspergers, ADHD, sleep disorders. My daughter has so much aniexty that she is on an anti-depressient - LONG story- and noe we have added a second low does one with a side effect of being sleepy.

I have a sleep disorder that is very rare and they have to drug me into sleep but not to gointo REM sleep, becasue that is when the worst of my disorder occurs.
    We are trying the med's for seven days to get her body into the pattern and then start droping it off - that usually brakes a bad habit, and keeps them in the new habbit.

Rwards are always more successful than punishment - and longer lasting. = what would be a good reward for being alsepp by ... (or staying in bed quietly until...) Look at your time - most children will see uninterupted time you as a super bonus. You both have to be organized and stick to your guns.

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

I thought im the only one dealing with this problem. My daughter stays up all night too!
    It started a couple of months, today i got up at 5am, went to her bedroom, and there she was standing infront of her dresser changing clothes, and yes, she tried almost every clothes that her bedroom is such a mess. Right now shes in the couch sleeping, and will sleep until late, schoolwork is getting later and later everyday. Sometimes we are in school room til 8pm and it messes up with my own work too.
    It was so easy a year ago, we start school after lunch, finished at around 330pm. Now?......sighhhh.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We are going tru the same thing right now! Must be catching. HA HA
    Joyfully,
    Jackie