Mom of 6 from Mississippi :)
    LaceyN is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Mom of 6 from Mississippi :)

Hi! My name is Lacey and I'm a mom of 6 from Mississippi. We've been homeschooling for several years now, but with a new baby, I've been looking for something a little less time consuming on my part so we're going to give T4L a try.

We have 5 daughters and a new baby boy (who is spoiled rotten to say the least!) Our three oldest daughters are ages 18, 20, and 21 so I'm all finished homeschooling them, so I'm only homeschooling our two daughters (ages 9 and 6) and then there's the boy (6 months) who thinks that he must be held and snuggled at ALL TIMES! (Not that I mind at all....I believe that babies are supposed to be snuggled and spoiled.)

Our baby boy was born very, very early and was in the NICU for a long time, during which, our girls got used to slacking on schoolwork. I'm hoping I can get them back in the routine. So far they have only poked around on T4L but so far they love it! --fingers crossed it stays that way--

I hope to get to know you all soon!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hello, Lacy! Welcome to the T4L family. I bet your precious little boy is truly spoiled rotten, just the way he should be.

Since you and the girls are new to the program, here are some tips and tricks to make using the program a little easier for you all. Some families also like to use Vocabulary Spelling City to supplement vocabulary, spelling, and handwriting. It is a free site, but they do offer a fantastic premium membership also.

Here is a little more useful info:

*Spelling*

​​
    Lesson activity numbers for the spelling lessons can be found by logging in as a parent and accessing the lesson plans. Spelling lessons are located within the language arts extensions:

Fourth Grade - Chapter 2
    Fifth Grade - Chapter 6
    Sixth Grade - Chapter 9

Within the spelling chapter there are 27 Lesson activities. Each lesson activity has its own 10 word spelling list. If your child covers 1 lesson each week, then there are 27 weeks worth of spelling lessons. Within each lesson there is a pre-test (day1), dictionary skills where it is suggested that the child look up each word and write the definition (day2), a fill-in the blank story that you can print out and have your child fill in (day3), sometimes a second worksheet to print out and/ or 1 or 2 online activities (day4), and a post test (day5).

Every third lesson, the student is given a quiz over the words in the preceding three lessons. The results of these quizzes can be found in your student's reports. The results of the tests taken within each spelling lesson are for the student's information only.

On SpellingCity, the lists for Time4Learning lessons can be found here: S
    ​​
    pelling Lists They include 3rd grade, FIAR and BFIAR, as well as much more.

Students can use these lists to play games with their spelling words. If you choose to have your student take a weekly spelling test at
    SpellingCity, the results are printable, either in report or certificate form. If you choose a premium membership, the program will keep track of your student's activity and test scores online.

*Answer Sheets for Printables*

If you are looking for the answer sheet to a printable, You will need to log in as the parent administrator. If the worksheet has a answer key icon next to it, then you will be able to print the answer key for that worksheet.

*You can find a list of science supplies in the parent login area.

*Here are some recommendations for first and second grade language arts*:

*In first and second grade, I prefer to have my children complete the
    language arts program before beginning the language arts extensions. From third grade and up, they do language arts and language arts extensions simultaneously.

I have three reasons for not doing them simultaneously until third grade:*

*1. **In grades one and two, the language arts program focuses on learning to read, and the reading required is a little bit “easier” than in the extensions.*

*2. **The language arts extensions in grades one and two are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year. *

*3. **Both the language arts and the language arts extensions assign
    writing projects using Story Creator. If done concurrently, the student
    often ends up with two writing assignments in one day, which is
    overwhelming for most children of this age.

*FIRST GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS *

Scheduling – 376 online lesson activities, which INCLUDE necessary quizzes and tests. (Quizzes and tests are incorporated into the daily activities. They are not separately indicated by their own icon at the bottom of the page as in some other subjects.)

Aim for four to five online lesson activities per day, during the first
    half of the school year (first semester) only. The student can usually do four activities, but it will be necessary for the student to complete five activities on 24 days throughout the first semester in order to finish the program during one semester (80 school days).

*ILA* stands for "Integrated Language Arts". Each ILA unit is based on an excerpt from a book. Many language arts concepts are taught in the process of studying that particular book excerpt. They are all integrated, instead of having separate classes or texts for grammar, reading comprehension, writing, etc. Parents can preview these activities without the preview appearing on their student's report if they don't mark the activities as completed.

*Playground:*

The Playground is basically just an opportunity for your children to play some fun, educational games after they have completed their lessons and activities, or after they have completed the amount of time you set for them to work before they can play.

If you go to your parent login and login, then click on the "Student Info" tab, then click on the icon that says "Student's Timer Settings," you can set your timers. You can set a specific amount of time you want them to work on their lessons and activities BEFORE they have access to the playground, and you can also set a timer for how long you want them to play on the playground.

*Teaching Guides:

Some grades and subjects include Teaching Guides with optional, supplemental material. If a Teaching Guide is available, there
    will be an apple icon in the Teaching Guide column in the lesson plans, and you will be able to access it by clicking on that icon.

*iPad*
    The iPad 2 isn't designed to run Flash programs like Time4Learning. There is an app that will run them, though. It's called iSwifter. It's basically a browser. You use it to access the T4L website instead of Safari.

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask further questions. Best wishes to you and your girls.

Joyfully,
    Jackie