Moving at end of school year?
    heather4877 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Moving at end of school year?

Hey Everyone,

We currently live in TX. My husband is in the military, but he's getting out this year. Our last day here is March 29th. I will be going with my three children (2 school-aged) to FL to stay with my parents until my husband is secured in our new area (we don't know where that will be yet and I will be staying in Florida until at least the middle of June). My children will THEN be going to spend the summer with their biological father in Virginia. He is also in the military and has just notified me that he MAY be moving before then to another state. They will be coming home (where ever that may be) at the end of the summer. I know this all sounds very confusing, and that's exactly my problem.

My children are currently in public school, something that I don't have a problem with yet. However, with all of this craziness I'm very concerned about them having to start in a new school district in April, so close to the end of the school year, then having to leave to go to wherever their dad may be moving to, then having to come "home" to a new area only to start at ANOTHER new school at the beginning of next year. Beginning school as a "new kid" is stressful enough without adding all of this extra stuff. My son is 13, he's in 8th grade this year, and starting high school next year is weighing on his mind. He is extremely socially capable and has a large group of friends here, but he gets terrible migraines when he is very stressed (which isn't very often, but I did have to pick him up from school the first day he started in this district because he was so ill). My daughter is turning 11 on February 13th; she's in 5th grade this year. She is just starting to become very aware of herself (obsessed with her shoes, clothing, hair, etc.), but she's not nearly as comfortable in a social environment as her brother. She threw up TWICE the first day of school this year and it wasn't even her first year in that school.

My thought is that perhaps I could homeschool them just to finish out this school year, so I could AT LEAST prevent that one area of stress for them.

I might be way off base. I'm not sure. I need some input, as I'm not getting any from their current school.

Any ideas, opinions, etc. would be appreciated. Perhaps they'll be fine and I'M the one that's overreacting!

I might as well let you know that keeping them from going to their dad's house for the summer to avoid that possible change in location isn't possible due to our divorce decree.

Thanks,
    Heather

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First welcome to the time4learning.net forum. Glad you stopped by. I would like to encourage you to look at our Welcome to Homeschooling Guide, that is a free download. It will answer some of your questions on what you might need to know about homeschooling. Also check out our page on military families who homeschool.

It sounds like you will be in Florida for the rest of the school year. So check out the Florida forum to see what all you would need to do to homeschool in Florida, as every state is different. If you where in my county of Florida (yes I live in FL) I would recommend you call Dot Clark. She is our homeschool contact with the school system here in Pinellas County.

Sounds to me like Time4learning might be just the thing to help keep you on track for the next school year. But each family has to make that choice.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Heather.
    I think in your situtation, if my kids were in school, I'd also be seeking alternatives. So no, I don't think you are overreacting. By the time you read this, you will already be in Florida. You don't mention what county or city in Florida. I also live in Florida. We're in Broward county, near Fort Lauderdale. We have quite a number of friends who are in the military and homeschool. We actually have a very large homeschooling community here. As a matter of fact, Heather, the Florida Homeschooling Convention put together by FPEA is held in Orlando the last weekend in May.

Brandy gave you some great advice and links to follow. Another source you may find helpful would be the Florida Parent-Educators Association (FPEA). If you follow that link, and then look at the bottom, the 2nd box reads "Find Your Disctrict". If you click on that, you can search for a homeschool support group in your area in Florida so you can get connected with homeschoolers and get some guidance. There are several in my area. As a matter of fact, we are members of 2 groups. We have a great support team, the kids have classes (co-ops), field trips, events, P.E., yearbooks, etc. You can also find information on the Convention I mentioned at this site.

Like Brandy mentioned, it sounds like homeschooling would be a good choice for you and T4L would be a good academic start. And again, only you know what the best choice for your family is. Just a thought, though, if you decide to give homeschooling a try, just remember that you can always go back and change your mind. Any decision you make does not have to be final. That helped me when making the decision many years ago....just take it one day at a time. 12 years later, we're still homeschooling.

Well, Heather, I wish you the best in whatever choice you make. Would love to hear what you decide. If there are any other questions you have, please don't hesitate to ask. Always happy to help....

Janet
    homeschooling 3 (2 high school and 2 elementary, using T4L)
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 01-31-2013 at 04:24 PM.

heather4877 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lovehmschlg3 View Post
    Hi, Heather.
    I think in your situtation, if my kids were in school, I'd also be seeking alternatives. So no, I don't think you are overreacting. By the time you read this, you will already be in Florida. You don't mention what county or city in Florida. I also live in Florida. We're in Broward county, near Fort Lauderdale. We have quite a number of friends who are in the military and homeschool. We actually have a very large homeschooling community here. As a matter of fact, Heather, the Florida Homeschooling Convention put together by FPEA is held in Orlando the last weekend in May.

Brandy gave you some great advice and links to follow. Another source you may find helpful would be the Florida Parent-Educators Association (FPEA). If you follow that link, and then look at the bottom, the 2nd box reads "Find Your Disctrict". If you click on that, you can search for a homeschool support group in your area in Florida so you can get connected with homeschoolers and get some guidance. There are several in my area. As a matter of fact, we are members of 2 groups. We have a great support team, the kids have classes (co-ops), field trips, events, P.E., yearbooks, etc. You can also find information on the Convention I mentioned at this site.

Like Brandy mentioned, it sounds like homeschooling would be a good choice for you and T4L would be a good academic start. And again, only you know what the best choice for your family is. Just a thought, though, if you decide to give homeschooling a try, just remember that you can always go back and change your mind. Any decision you make does not have to be final. That helped me when making the decision many years ago....just take it one day at a time. 12 years later, we're still homeschooling.

Well, Heather, I wish you the best in whatever choice you make. Would love to hear what you decide. If there are any other questions you have, please don't hesitate to ask. Always happy to help....

Janet
    homeschooling 3 (2 high school and 2 elementary, using T4L)

Janet,

Thank you for your reply! We are moving to Navarre, FL, in the panhandle. As I said in my post, the kids will only be there until the end of the school year, then they will go see their father and won't be coming back to Florida because I will, hopefully , have moved to our new home, wherever that may be.

My main worry about homeschooling is that doing it for such a brief time will hinder rather than help my children. My son loves going to school, so I wouldn't plan to homeschool next year. I'm just wondering if it's out of line to homeschool them for the last month and a half of this year to avoid having to put them through the stressful process of starting at a new school that won't really be their school.

Once again, I appreciate your response. I'll look into the resources you listed above!

Heather

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Oh, Heather, I'm so sorry I misunderstood part of your question. It really is a tough choice to make because it's only for a little over a month. Good luck with whatever you decide.