need help texas!
    BayBdawl.Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default need help texas!

hello my name is rhianna. i am currently doing a little bit of prek work with my son he just turned 4 oct.17.2013 but i feel that i was late on researching homeschool.anyhoo my child will start prek for 2014. im vary new to homeschooling, this is my only child so far. i chose to homeschool because i feel my child deserves something more individualized and at his pace.i jpined this because 1 i am new but also because my family is vary materialistic and the pnly thing i hear is "hell have no friends" "it will make him weird" its not normal or they think its funny and theres no way i could teach him the "right way".however the real reson is because they jist believe in doing things whatever is the easiest. my child is a bit slow on learning so i know it will take much patience but i love my son and i know i can do it. i want to provide him with the best..my childhood wasnt vary sturdy and i just want to give him the vary best i can. anyhoo i have a few questions.i researched alot of state information but some i couldnt quite understand and i dont know anyone who homeschools im basically on my own here...so i have read that keeping a portfolio in tx isnt necessarry.is thos true? how many hours are required in a day for school? how many days of the week is required? is there any test required for each school year? how do i obtain them if so? ive also seen that there is no registration needed for homeschooling if a child hasnt been in school yet i can just find a curriculm and stary. is this true and is there any form of having to register them at all? because it just seems so un-texas to not have to inform anybody of this.anyhoo if i can get some clear answers tht would be so great, thank you!!

jlsohl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello Rhianna! Texas has very relaxed standards for homeschooling. You should probably check out the state group for Texas as well, but here are a few helpful links. » State Requirements This is the Texas Homeschool Coalition. You'll find the basic laws right in the center of this page. Also review » The Texas Education Code which states that Texas views homeschool as a private school. Check the web for other homeschoolers in your area by searching on Google. This is my 3rd year homeschooling and our 1st year using Time4Learning. Just remember these few things.
    1. There will always be people questioning your decisions - whether you homeschool or send your kids to private school or public school. Just the questions vary, from socialization, to exposure to threats to whatever the person comes up with. It really has more to do with how the person feels about their own decisions than how they feel about your decisions.

2. The first years are hard, because you're figuring out how your child learns, how you learn, and how to meld those two ideas. Take time, give each thing you try a good amount of time to really see if it works, and don't be surprised if you change your mind three or four or five times before you find the right thing for you and your family.

3. Just remember that you love your son, your family loves your son... but you are the one responsible for raising him. Consider their concerns, but ultimately you have to be the one to do the work. Decide what you're comfortable with, what will meet the needs of you son, your state laws, and your other entities you report to (God, etc.), and go from there.

HopeSpringsFam is offline Junior Member

It's never too late to research or begin homeschooling! I'm sorry your family isn't as supportive as they could be. I would like to refer you to the Texas Homeschool Coalition's website: www.thsc.org for more detailed answers to your questions. They have a Homeschool Handbook for sale that goes into great detail. Also, I personally think that membership is well worth the cost. If you have any kind of legal issues because of homeschooling, either with family, CPS, the school district or whatever, they will give you support and give you legal help.

In brief, homeschools in Texas are considered private schools, and therefore are not subject to the standardized testing (TAKS) that the public schools are. There is no set number of days, hours in a day, tests or curriculum that you must abide by. Also, portfolios are not required, but are recommended in case you ever move to another state or just to prove you are actually "doing school" if needed.

If the student has never been enrolled in the public school system (and that includes public preschool, and special ed for preschoolers), then you do NOT have to contact anyone regarding your homeschooling. However, if they have been enrolled then you need to send a letter to the school they were in, formally removing them from the system and stating that you are homeschooling them effective [this date]; or something to that effect. There is a sample letter in the THSC handbook.

I would also recommend that you locate and join a homeschool support group near you. You don't say what city you are near, but there are support groups all over Texas. Again, the THSC website can help with that.

Good luck with your preschool! I hope all of this helped, and didn't overwhelm you.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It looks like you have already received some great advice here. These guys are wonderful. I always tell new homeschoolers that your most important tool is a good homeschool support group. Find one that fits with your ideals and look to them for advice on things like dealing with your family, dealing with the school system, and just plain dealing with life on a daily basis. The next most important thing is to relax. You know your child better than anyone else so relax and go with the flow. You both will be fine. Definitely follow some of the links that have already been posted. Go to the Texas State Parent Forum. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. We're all in this together.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota