Need homeschooler advice.
    MsKay is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Need homeschooler advice.

Hello all. I am Kay and I have an autistic child and have just decided to homeschool My son is currently in ninth grade with some social challenges which have been in my opinion irritated by the public school system. I currently do not know anyone who has homeschooled an autistic child and I am pleased to have found this site. I was able to find a cover Church and have set up a meeting for Monday to discuss enrollment paperwork and fees. I would greatly appreciate any information from anyone who has had success in homeschooling an autistic high school student. I do not have any idea where to start. My son does well with repetition, he can read, however, he struggles in math. How do I choose the best curriculum and where do I find material, testing material, attendance material, etc? Is my anxiety getting the best of me or will the cover Church provide this information for me?

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Normally the parent decides the curriculum/ learning style of there child.
    Read the homeschooling guide
    Research Homeschooling methods and figure what works with you and your child. You do not have to decide on just one either. i found mixing what I like best out of all the methods is what I am going to try. I am gonna try to be very open and change to what works best for my child.
    The Cover church will have lots of resources for you to look at one of them being a test or questionnaire to find out your childs learning style. Since you already know it it will be really easy but having that questionnaire hopes you find programs that are best suited for that learning your child needs.
    For all other questions because I do not know your state laws you should post in the forum for your state Alabama

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, MsKay.
    We have been homeschooling for 12 years. Our youngest is 15 years old, but at an elementary level. She has Down syndrome. I don't go by grade level, so I cannot tell you what grade she is in. She's a twin, and her brother is in 10th grade. She works at 2nd and 3rd grade levels on T4L. Like your son, math is a struggle for her because of the reasoning and logic related with math. Like your son, she needs lots of repetition. She can also read very well, but we are working on comprehension.
    We've been using T4L for 4 years now. It's actually the best thing I've found for her! We are very happy with T4L. I don't know the laws in Alabama, so I cannot answer your question about the 'cover Church' or attendance. I don't know what you mean by 'cover church'. The link on Brook Simmons' reply will help you with that.
    We live in Florida. Attendance is not something we need to be concerned about. We need to keep a record of work done, test or evaluate our student at the end of the year, and show progress from the previous year. My bigger concern, like you said, is finding the right curriculum for our daughter, make learning fun for her, and help her to learn. So I have tried several things. Each year we have added or changed things. Like I said before, though, T4L is the best thing we've found.
    We also have social challenges with our daughter. But we have a very large homeschool community group, we are members of 2 homeschool support groups, and our church is also 90 percent young homeschool families who are intentional about including our daughter and socializing with her. We also try to stay active with the groups by participating in different events.

I'm sorry I couldn't answer your question about the cover church. I don't know if the cover church is like an umbrella school. Here is an article on umbrella schools that may be helpful for you.

Janet
    Enjoying homeschooling our 2 high schoolers and 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 03-15-2013 at 08:08 PM.