Needing help with finishing lesson plans at the end of the school year!
    Teachingmygirls is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Needing help with finishing lesson plans at the end of the school year!

Hi ladies!

I am a homeschool helper for an American family living here overseas. So I am an overseas homeschooler using T4L! I am straight out of school so my experience in teaching is limited. I teach my 3 girls, grades 6th, 5th, and 1st. My older girls are using T4L's math, science and LA Extensions.

I need help, though, and advice. We are planning on finishing the end of May but we aren't going to finish all of the lessons and activities due to things coming up this school year. I am frustrated and overwhelmed because the things my 6th grader still needs to learn are important topics like fractions, decimals and ratios..but my 5th grader seems to be more on track. I am overwhelmed because the mom of the girls {I am just the teacher} has given the responsibility all to me even though this is my first time using or even hearing of T4L. So I don't have much support on what to do.

The girls were in an international school last year but it was not a good fit so they pulled them out. Homeschool is not a good fit for them either so they are going back into the int'l school next year..so I want to prepare the girls to be on track when they go back to school this fall.

Any help or advice on figuring out how to finish the school year with the right amount of lesson plans would be amazing! I tried using the lesson plan tool but where we are at and when we want to finish has us doing 29 activities a week. Both my 5th and 6 grader have ADD so it is hard to keep them focused.

Thanks so much! So glad to be on here! Appreciative of any help you can give me!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You might try and see if they already know some of the material by having them take the final test for each chapter. If they can pass the test with an acceptable grade, let them move on to the next chapter. If they can't pass the test, have them go back and do the lesson material again.

29 lessons a week is not really a huge amount. It means about 6 lessons per day. Many of the lessons only take 15 to 20 minutes to complete. I think with ADD or any of those aphabet soup diagnosis you have to break up the day. Work on one subject for half an hour and then do something active for a while. Then you can go back to the lessons. My son needs to get up and run around, get snacks, watch the cars go by outside. He needs to break up the work day. You might find that you get a lot more accomplished if you do this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Teachingmygirls is offline Junior Member Newbie

that is great, advice! thank you so much!!