new accidental homeschooler
    weaver95 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Red face new accidental homeschooler

We made the decision just yesterday to homeschool. I just couldn't take the tears and struggle one more day. I've printed out lesson plans for both kids and I'm very overwhelmed. Obviously we're coming out of public school mid-year so I have to figure out where to start here to get them through this school year. Should I have them take the quizes and then, if they don't know the information, go back and do the lesson? Any advice would be great!

Liz E is offline Member

I love homeschooling and once you get started it isn't that overwhelming. Also, many people after stopping traditional school do some deschooling where they keep the learning relaxed and unstructured while they take their time deciding on a homeschooling plan. Make sure you join your state group in the forum. You will also feel more comfortable once you read through more of the forums. It will answer many questions.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Your story sounds SO much like mine with my oldest!! Stupid me waited until 5th grade to pull him out and it took me at least a year for him to love to learn again! I love homeschooling my boys (well most days,LOL) Honestly, I made them both get 100% on the quizzes and tests, I know it sounds weird BUT there is no time restraints SO why not. I want my boys to know the material BEFORE moving on to the next lesson. If they don't get 100% the first then I go thru the lessons with them. It took us a long time for both of them to slow down, that's the problem with public school it is always faster faster OK on to the next thing! I even had a lot of gaps in what my oldest knew, so I went back a grade or TWO so that we could find those gaps and build a stronger foundation! I love T4L for that, they get the grade below and above their current grade. I let them go thru as much of the lessons as they wanted to we went thru over a grade each year!!

You should check out the
    GA state forum as well, you might get some state related info that would be helpful for you as well
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

wpbmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

HI..I HAVE BEEN HOMESCHOOLING SINCE MY 7 YR OLD WAS IN 1ST GRADE..WELL THIS SEPT I THOUGHT SHE MIGHT WANT TO GET A LITTLE "SOCIAL'/LOL..AND PUT HER BACK IN OUR LOCAL ELEMENTARY..WE BOTH HATED IT..SHE WAS MORE ADVANCED AND BORED!! SO AFTER XMAS BREAK..WE CAME BACK TO T4L..EXCELLENT PROGRAMS..SOURCES..TOOLS CANT BE BEAT AND WE R VRY HAPPY...WE WILL DO THIS TILL HS!!..GOOD LUCK EVERYONE...OH YES..ONE EXCELLENT READING SOURCE.."LETS READ" BY bARNHART..GREAT TRAINING AND LESSONS!!