New and green !!!
    julieswink4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New and green !!!

Hello,
    My name is Julie Swink and I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I am new to homeschooling, online school, planning a curriculum, and/or teaching ANYTHING other than how to clean your room and maybe get the trash out correctly. I'm a bit anxious but am hopeful I will meet some other moms or first timers who can show us the ropes. Due to a health issue we recently un-enrolled our 5th grader from public school. (it wasn't working so well anyway) - She has always wanted to try homeschool so here we are. I was trying to preview and/or sample some lessons today to try to figure out how it all works.... Any sugggestions about how you did it would be appreciated. Also, where is the pause button?
    Thank you so much! Julie

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Julie, and welcome! There is a pause button, but not for every activity. There is a rewind feature though, so if for some reason you or your child miss something, you can rewind and re-listen as often as necessary.

Here is a great Getting Started with Time4Learning guide that you can check out to learn more about the program and navigating the site. There is also this Hints and Helps section.

As far as how everyone uses the program, that's as varied as the number of people using it, lol. For example, we use it as our core rather than as a supplement to another program/curriculum. You may want to check out the forum Members Chat on Using Time4Learning...see if you can peruse the threads and find out about how others plan their day with T4L.

One last thing - I'd like to invite you to join the Texas homeschool forum. It can be a great place to meet other members near you, but also a good way to keep up with things going on around the state.

Hope that helped, at least a little. Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

julieswink4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Oh Katie ! Thank you so much for the informative reply! It made sense and I will play around with it this weekend.... I am going to visit your site too. I'm at work at the moment & my daughter is down the street with a family who homeschools - And cool, I definitely need to join the Texas homeschool forum (would love to find some people in my area to talk to) - Your reply helped ALOT! I am still in that "limbo stage" where she has gone from going to school every day, to us figuring out what online curriculum to buy, to ok now how does it work, to Lord please help us !! Sigh. I feel like a failure to the school district as I can tell they think I'm doing the wrong thing. But, I know my girl & she needs out of public school (at least for a time, but maybe permanently) due to her health issues and in our opinion a great need of peace. I just want her to learn what she needs to, not be so stressed out (I wasn't in 5th grade!), and to be able to learn her lessons without feeling like "the loser" in the classroom. (she always tells me thats how she felt no matter what we told her to the contrary) - I'm sorry to ramble so Katie....just wanted to tell you how very encouraged I was to get a sweet reply like yours and I'll be stopping by your site soon. Julie

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Julie! I'm sorry I didn't respond to this earlier...my time management skills aren't the best and I can forget to check back here sometimes. :/

When I made the decision to pull my son out of school, I didn't feel like the school board thought I was doing the wrong thing. I just felt like they didn't care! It was awful. When I went up to the office and told them I was unhappy with how things were and we going to try our hand at homeschooling, the reply I got was: "Ok, sign here. Do you want his records?" Seriously. That was it. Not a "Is there anything we can do to prevent this?" or a "Is there anything we can do to help?" Heck, I would have been alright with a "we don't think this is the best decision for your child." But I got nothing. Very sad.

I'm glad I could help you, even if only minimally.

I know it's been a few days since you posted this, so I'm hoping things are going smoothly for you and your daughter. Please don't forget to check back and keep us posted!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!