New here and to homeschooling!
    Jenny Wauson is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New here and to homeschooling!

Hello everyone! Well today is our first day of homeschooling. I pulled my 8 year old out of public school because it was not meeting our needs. Did anyone else feel a little nervous and overwhelmed when they were first starting? I look forward to chatting with everyone on here and finding support in our journey.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Jenny. Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. Yes, I think everyone feels nervous when they are first starting out. Every year on the first day of school when I see all the kids gathering together at the bus stop I get this funny Am I Doing The Right Thing feeling. But we keep plugging away. My son has never gone to school and he's doing okay.

I don't see what state you are in, but if you look at the top of this page you will see a drop down menu that says State Forums. Click on that and then on your state. You'll find lots of great resources there. Also please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Relax, breath deeply and enjoy your child.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Sportyfamily is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Jenny,

We have been homeschooling for six years now. I felt very nervous starting out too and that is why I started with T4L - it was all laid out. Since our first year we have used many different things and are now back to online learning. Get in touch with a local support group in your area so you can meet others who homeschool and maybe make some great new friends too!

Good luck in your familys new endeavor! You'll love the freedom.

Melissa

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Jenny. Welocome to homeschooling and T4L forums.
    We started homeschooling in kindergarten. Honestly, I was more excited than nervous. I had met a homeschool family that I enjoyed being with. They were a close family. I was most impressed with how their kids could hold a conversation with an adult or a child younger than them, as well as a peer their own age. I wanted that for our family. I think if I had pulled our kids out of middle or high school, I would've been nervous. I think what also helped me is that I got connected with other homeschoolers in my area through a support group, got my kids in a homeschool P.E. class, and just took it one day at a time. We've never regretted it. There have been times I've felt like I can be teaching them more, but I've learned most of us feel that way at one time or another. And we can never teach them all there is to know, right? The best I can do for them is foster a love of reading, enable them to be self-learners and love learning.
    That's one of the reasons we love T4L. Our youngest DD loves learning with T4L. I like it because I don't have to worry about planning her lessons and it keeps a record of her scores and progress.
    Enjoy your homeschool journey, take it one day at a time, and know you are not alone!! We're here when you need guidance or encouragement.

Janet