New Here in kansas and so overwhelmed!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MaryKate

Thread: New Here in kansas and so overwhelmed!

Default New Here in kansas and so overwhelmed!

Have two kids starting 4th and 6th and totally have no idea what I am doing! Signed up with Time 4 Learning and totally confused on how it works.I am new to this, but know people who have done it, but their back in Illinois!
    Is time for learning enough for them or do I need to add more that isnt on the site.Please help so confused and anxious i decided on this!
    Thanks Jeanne

Miguel'smom is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Deep breaths.....

It looks like time 4 learning fufills your state requirements. It seems to meet:

3. Instruction must be provided for a period of time “substantially equivalent” to public school, about 186 days. Kan. Stat. Ann. § 72-1111(a)(2).
    4. The instruction must be (a) planned and (b) scheduled, and (c) periodic testing must occur. Kansas
    Attorney General Opinion No. 85-159 (1985) says the factors outlined in In Re Sawyer 672 P.2d 1093
    (1983) (planned and scheduled instruction, periodic testing, and competent instructor) should be applied
    to determine whether home instruction is a private school
    As for whether time 4 learning has enough depth for you is a personal decision. With the option of moving ahead as a child completes a course I think it's "enough". You can always go more in-depth in any topic your children show interested in. Welcome again I hope as time progresses you become more confident. I'm not in Kansas but I do have a 6th grader that has been home schooled through out and will help you as much as I can. Just ask Remember to breath and that homeschooling is less frustrating and easier then helping kids with their homework, IMO.

MaryKate is offline Junior Member

No worries!! If you put homeschooling into perspective and what you are trying to accomplish, which is to educate your children to make it and succeed out in the real world, you should feel confidant. I really believe a lot of what kids are forced to learn in public school is "filler education" of no real significant value and only there because it is mandated by our government who states they simply "are required to learn it." How much of what we learned in public school has ever helped us in our lives today? Good math skills, and reading and comprehension are the 2 most important, IMO. Language Arts and vocab are high on my personal list for my son. (BTW, I was homeschooled myself from 7th grade on back in the 80's when it was NOT popular and had no support. I have had many different jobs from a bank teller to my current position as a dual-certified Patient Account Technician for my local hospital.) You can do it!!!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I really like what MaryKate said. It really does depend on what is important to you. We have used Time4Learning since preK. It is the only curriculum that we use. We do go on lots and lots of field trips. My son takes a monthly class at a local art museum, monthly classes at historical sites, and frequent classes at a local science museum. I also encourage him to practice handwriting several days per week.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Jeanne.
    The other ladies have answered your questions very well. I completely agree with them. Try not to duplicate at home what the brick and mortar schools do. It may take some time to just find your own groove of what homeschooling looks like for your family. It just becomes a way of life...learning throughout the day, not just from books or curriculum.
    Just enjoy your children, teaching them and even learning with them.

One of my children has high functioning Down syndrome. I am so thankful to have found Time4Learning, especially for her. We've been using T4L for close to 5 years now. She has learned to work independently when I need her to. She logs on and does her work on her own. When she's done, I review her Progress Report. If she's gotten a score below, say 80%, I'll have her repeat the lesson/quiz while I sit by her side to see where she's having trouble. T4L is actually very easy to navigate. You'll see once you get started. Maybe poke around a little just to get comfortable with the site. Here is a link for Helps and Tips for new families to T4L.

I'd also like to suggest you get connected with a local homeschool support group. It's a good way for you and your kids to get connected and participate in activities, like field trips, with other homeschoolers. You could probably find one by Googling your "homeschool support group in.."... your city or county. And have you introduced yourself in our Kansas Forum?

Enjoy your homeschooling journey. You'll have good and bad days, but you'll do great! We're all in this together and are always happy to help. If you have any questions about homeschooling or the T4L site, please just ask.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass