New to Home schooling
    Mary Kirwan is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Home schooling

Hi;
    My name Is Mary, I am taking the first tentative steps in setting up a home school to educate my son. Our experience in public school has not necessarily been nightmarish but it was bad enough that I felt I could probably do a lot better. I have to admit right now I am totally blinded with confusion from everything I have been reading. Hoping to get some good information from the veterans.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Mary! Glad you found us! I can certainly understand the confusion and the nerves...but don't worry, it will get better! Just make sure you know and understand your state homeschooling laws, and seek out as much support as you can. Our forums here are great for that!

Here is a Welcome to Homeschooling guide that you might find helpful, as well as a Hints and Help page for learning more about how to use and navigate through the T4L site. Also, please join your state homeschooling forum. It can be a great place to meet others near you, but also to keep up with homeschool happenings in your state!

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Mary. Welcome to T4L and to homeschooling. We homeschool our 3 children; 2 in high school and one in elementary. We've always homeschooled them. We do have 2 adult children that attended public school.

It can all seem overwhelming at first. You just have to jump right in and do it. Once you start and get your own 'groove' or your own method, you'll feel more comfortable. I think homeschooling is the most natural way to learn. We taught our kids to eat, walk, dress themselves...why not continue?

You can do it, Mary. Three things I like to tell new homeschoolers is learn about the homeschool laws for your state, because some states have requirements about testing, schedules, curriculum. Some states are more lax than others. Second is get connected with other homeschoolers. A good way to do this is through homeschool support groups in your area. You may be able to find one through Google, this website or through HSLDA, which is a good organization to join as a homeschooler. And lastly, don't try to recreate the classroom at home. Enjoy your time with your children and make learning fun. Although kids spend 6-8 hours in school, we can often do the work in half that time....remembering too, that life is learning.

Enjoy your homeschooling journey. Everyone here is very friendly, so don't hesitate to ask questions or come here for some support.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass