New homeschool mom and student
    SaraA is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New homeschool mom and student

Hello all,

My family and I currently live in Germany and we are making a huge move to California. To keep our 6th grader from attending 3 different schools for his first semester of middle school we have decided to home school until the beginning of the 2nd semester. Depending how this all goes, we are looking to use this as an after school program in areas he has problems with.

I'm a little confused how the military schools deal with homeschooling. In my search I found that DODDS has no opinion on homeschooling. I have no idea what that means. Do I just go by California homeschooling laws/regs since we know that's where we are headed? That seems to make the most sense to me. But I fear I may be missing something.

I'm off to read some of the forums to get a better idea about the program and what I am getting myself into. I'm quite nervous but I know this is the right thing for our little man for the moment.

Sara

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First "WELCOME" to time4learning. What a great idea to help your child transition. Homeschooling gives you so much more freedom. I hope you and your 6th grader love it. Time4learning really helps make it easier too.

I recommend you check out the Military forum, if you have not already. That is where you ask the questions about what laws you go by. I am pretty sure it is what ever state you are in. But again double check on that. If that is the case be sure to stop by the California forum, also. Again if you have not already.

I wish you luck with your move and your new adventure in homeschooling.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Sara.

Welcome to the States and to Time4Learning.

I cannot answer your questions regarding military schools and homeschool. Maybe you can get that answer at the Military forum, as Brandy has already advised.
    I just wanted to share a link to Time4Learning's hints and helps page for new users to Time4Learning.
    The site is pretty easy to navigate, but I've had some questions from time to time in the 5 years we've been using T4L, and I've found the staff to be very friendly and helpful when I've had to call the support line for direction.
    If you look at the bottom of the page, you'll find a link to "contact us" where you can find the toll-free number for T4L.
    But if we can help with anything right here in the forums, we all like to do our best to help each other out.

I hope you have a safe and stress-free move, and I hope you find the answers to your questions.

Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

tawnikofler is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Sara! I joined possibly the same day as you and am in a very similar situation. We are also living in Germany, Spangdahlem AB, and will be moving to the UK in October. We were supposed to get to the UK right after school started, but we've had big issues with orders/visas causing us to need to extend for a month. I still need to get to the states before moving to the UK, so I decided with so much going on it would be better to homeschool them until we find a house in the UK and know which school they need to go to. That way we're not rushed to get to or from any certain place because we always have school with us! My kids are in the second and fifth grade, I guess I should start researching the rules for homeschooling in the UK since that's where they will enroll next? Good luck

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tawnikofler View Post
    Hi Sara! I joined possibly the same day as you and am in a very similar situation. We are also living in Germany, Spangdahlem AB, and will be moving to the UK in October. We were supposed to get to the UK right after school started, but we've had big issues with orders/visas causing us to need to extend for a month. I still need to get to the states before moving to the UK, so I decided with so much going on it would be better to homeschool them until we find a house in the UK and know which school they need to go to. That way we're not rushed to get to or from any certain place because we always have school with us! My kids are in the second and fifth grade, I guess I should start researching the rules for homeschooling in the UK since that's where they will enroll next? Good luck
    Welcome to you as well! Thanks so much for chiming in and introducing yourself.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!