New to homeschooling!!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HomeschoolerDADDY

Thread: New to homeschooling!!

lorimclaney is offline Junior Member

Question New to homeschooling!!

Hi, I'm a working mother of 3. We are starting Abbigail this year and will possibly go another. I'm however, getting a lot of negativity from friends of mine. Can any other homeschooling mothers offer any advice?? How well does this work for you?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The negativity from others is one of the more difficult things to deal with as homeschoolers. Especially when this comes from the child's grandparents. An old time homeschooler stated once that the best way to handle this is to simply say, "Thank you for your input, please pass the gravy." In other words be firm about the fact that this is your child. You have made the decision that is best for your child and your family.

You really need to connect with others in your area who will be supportive of your decision. I would suggest that you head on over to the Alabama Parent Support Forum. They will be able to give you a lot more information about state law and things like that than I can.

You don't say how old your child is. I have a ten year old at home. We have been homeschooling with time4learning since preK. This is what works best for our family. Good luck on your journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thank you for replying!! It helped alot. Really. Abbi is 10. She's thrilled about this opportunity and so am I. I also have a 8 year old (who just loves the school atmosphere), and a 21month old who I want to start ASAP :P I will definitely look into the Alabama Support Forum. Thank you again!!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Happy to help.. Good luck on your journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I agree with what Kathi said...the negativity is one of the hardest things to deal with. My parents were really supportive when we first started homeschooling in 2005. My dad is a conspiracy theorist, lol, so he's still really on board with my keeping my boys out of the school system. But my mom is becoming more and more negative. Even as recent as this weekend. She's concerned that as my oldest gets older (he just turned 13), he doesn't behave like other teenage boys.

I have gotten used to her questions about high school (she's constantly asking about proms, graduations, college...lol), but I was honestly surprised at this particular concern of hers. I asked her what she meant. After stuttering a bit, her answer to me was "well...he's too...nice."

Really? Because he doesn't name call (even when being funny), pick on kids, or laugh when someone is getting messed with, and because my kids DO NOT think mean humor is funny at all, they must not be developing correctly.

Ugh. So I had to do what Kathi said. Forcefully stick up for myself, my kiddos and my decisions/choices I make as a mother. While what I really wanted to say "dude, you have lost your mind," I tried to act like a mature adult, lol. I told my mom that "while I appreciate her concern, I totally disagree. She's welcome to argue with me, but it will get nasty and I would rather not have our weekend visit with them go down hill. I love her, but she did the best she could when she had to make decisions regarding me, and I need to do the same for my own kids. It'd be great if we could leave it at that."

You'll find your answers to questions and issues like that, even it takes you a little while to do so. And like Kathi said, finding homeschooling support (even if it's only online) can be a huge relief. Sometimes just being able to vent with other homeschooling parents helps to prevent you from keeping frustrations inside and blowing up at the next person that asks you about homeschooling, lol.

Good luck!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

HomeschoolerDADDY is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    But my mom is becoming more and more negative. Even as recent as this weekend. She's concerned that as my oldest gets older (he just turned 13), he doesn't behave like other teenage boys.
    Proverbs 13:20 "He who walks with wise men will be wise,
    But the companion of fools will be destroyed." The fact that he doesn't behave like other teenage boys is a good thing. Teenage boys do not "Walk with wise men". They walk with other teenage boys. They lack wisdom and moral direction. They are a bunch of goofy kids who are companions of fools (other goofy kids). The moral state of teenagers in this country is among the greatest reasons we home-school. Watch youtube or America's Funniest Videos, and wee what teenage boys do. Why are they called "normal" when they tend to be irresponsible, flesh-focused, and often, under-informed? That is what you get when you lump a bunch of foolish teens together and they "socialize" among themselves.
    Be proud that your teen doesn't behave like "normal" (which I would substitute with "secular, government-educated") teenagers.
    I would suggest boldly and truthfully explaining that that is the very point of homeschooling...so that your son won't be like the boys trained by Caesar! Here is a great video about it.
    Whoever Controls The Schools, Controls The World - YouTube

Also:
    Stupid in America - YouTube

Let me encourage you to be strong. This is why most of us have chosen home school. The first video addresses the absurd concept that the Government is the ones who are best qualified to train our children, and it addresses the myth that kids "socializing" prepares them for anything at all. How is age segregation preparing them for the real world? I never had a job where everyone was the same age. The oly place that exists is in the school systems.
    Keep it up!

jpenn and lorimclaney like this.

Blog Entries

Thanks, HomeschoolerDADDY, for the encouragement!
    Katie

Leta is offline Junior Member

I homeschooled my first three children for a few years. My last three boys are now teenagers. The twins are in the 8th grade and the 15 year old; in the tenth. This is my second year of homeschooling them. Last year was pretty disorganized. They weren't happy with the curriculum. This year I believe it will be a big difference, because at the end of the school year, I found time4learning and a different program for my high schooler. They seem very excited to get started. I hope it continues.

As for negativity from others, what I've noticed is those that didn't think homeschooling as such a good alternative is now homeschooling their own children. The other wishes that should could.

Blog Entries

Hi Leta! Welcome...we are glad you found us. I hope T4L works as well for you and your kiddo as it has for mine. Thanks for chiming in and introducing yourself!

Be sure to check out our Missouri homeschool forum, and always feel free to ask ANY questions you might have!
    Last edited by bailbrae; 08-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Katie

Wow!! Thank you all for the encouragement and guidance. Like I said I'm new to all of this and I can remember having a homeschooling conversation and also saying I just don't know if it's best for us. Until we got more "into" the school system. I myself went to a private school and would never put mine through that lol. Those kids from time to time were worse than public schoolers ever thought about being. We have had issues with the school system for a while now and my last straw was when my child was being bullied, it was brought to their attention. However, it wasn't until my daughter threatened an older boy, that I got a call. The call was to find out what my discipline action was going to be. HA!!!!!! I simply replied, "nothing". I love the curriculum I've seen already on Time4learning and am ecstatic about starting this year. And yes I continue to get the questions, are you going to do it again next year? Although, I have a good feeling I will... I haven't even begun yet!!! I do have a pretty good support system and my fantastic babysitter, mother, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law (who is in her last semester of college, majoring in education) have all encouraged me and offered their help at any time!! Abbi had a very rough year last year (healthwise, as well as teacher & student bullying) and some of her behaviors reflect that. So we have a long road ahead but we will overcome all of this and I pray that this is the beginning to an incredible adventure! Something we can continue and maybe even introduce the other two to. Thank you again to you all, it does help to vent about things, huh? Especially with others who can offer some insight!!!