New to homeschooling
    olivertd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to homeschooling

I've finally reached the limit of my patience with my local school district. My 5th grader, who has always loved learning but hated school, is struggling with a class notorious for disruptive and even violent behavior. They have been this way for three consecutive years and the administration's answer seems to be to dumb down the lowest end of the bell-shaped curve. WE can't possibly learn algebra if 25 out of 30 kids in the class can't pass benchmarks, now can we? So, my child, who passed the algebra test, gets held back yet again by his rowdy classmates.

Are the people on this site using the time for learning site alone, or are they supplementing with other workbooks and added lessons? If so, what are you using and what do you like about it? I think that time for learning seems interesting and I love the record keeping, but I'd like to get more out of homeschooling than the ability to pass a standardized core test!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I can certainly understand your frustration. Many people use Time4Learning as their core, and many supplement. You can have them add algebra for no extra charge.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

That is frustrating! I'm sorry for all the kids in that class that are doing the right thing, but have to suffer the consequences for the insolent behavior of their classmates. I'm impressed that your son is not being influenced by them. That is something to be thankful for.

We have homeschooled our 3 children for about 12 years. Our youngest has been using T4L for 4 years. We also do not teach to pass any standardized core test. We only use the test to know how well they understood the subject matter, especially for math. It helps me to know if they are not grasping a concept. So I need to review that concept with them...and sometimes even change the curriculum as a last resort. Yes, we want to get so much more out of homeschooling than teaching for a test! I want my children to love learning. So when they find a subject they are interested in, they immerse themselves in learning all about that topic. For example, my son developed an interest in butterflies. He did an extensive study of Monarch butterflies. We bought plants that attracted them and watched their life cycle from caterpillar to Chrysalis to butterfly. But what I love most about homeschooling is that it is the natural thing for us to do, we are growing and learning together as a family.

To answer your question, T4L is my DD's main source of learning, but we also do a lot of reading and writing. Maybe that's because I love to do both. With T4L, I love that we have 3 grade levels to choose from in each subject, because my dd is ahead in Language Arts, but a little behind in math. I also love that we can repeat the lessons as many times as needed...or skip lessons if she needs to. She can also work independently. The site is very easy to use. She enjoys the interactive learning. Some families use T4L as their only source of learning, others use T4L as a supplement. We are the teachers and we choose what is best for our child and family.

I don't know what state you live in, but you can do a search of your state homeschooling laws. My next step would be to find other families in your area who homeschool, find a local homeschool support group. If you go to the top right bar on this page, you will see State Forums. You can find your state and get connected with other homeschoolers in your area.

I hope to see you here more. Please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.

Janet

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Welcome to Time4Learning! We would love to have you visit us on the state board here.

I'm so sorry that you have had this issue in the public school system. You are not alone in this frustration. I think this is why more and more people are homeschooling. It really is ok if your child excels at something!

We are beginning our 6th year of homeschooling. My daughter is doing 6th/7th grade work. We have been using T4L as our core, and supplement as necessary. We also work on a year round school year, so that we have plenty of time to learn basics, and get more in-depth when we want to or need to. It also keeps my daughter from having end-of-summer brain rot and reduces the need for extensive review at the beginning of each school year. This means we are always making forward progress.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have and welcome to the wonderful adventure that homeschooling can be.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!