New to homeschooling!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg
  • 1 Post By katshu2

Thread: New to homeschooling!

Sydnie G. is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to homeschooling!

Hey guys! I am new to homeschooling due to a recent change in vaccine exemptions at our local private school. I have a 4th grader, a 2nd grader, and a Kindergartener. They have all done very well in school but I am pretty nervous about all of this.(we also have an 18 year old foster kid and her 2 year old daughter at home until June so we are super busy!) This looked like a great program to start with while you are figuring out your method. I work 3 12 hour night shifts a week. Any one else out there have to work and homeschool? I may be able to cut my hours or use vacation time for a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Sydnie
    from South Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Sydnie.

Welcome to the homeschooling community and to Time4Learning. It's natural to feel nervous. This is new to you. But trust me, you're going to do fine!! You are not alone. The first thing I did when I started homeschooling is I went to the library and checked out every book there was on homeschooling. That was 12 years ago. Now you have the internet. My second tip would be, do not try to duplicate school at home. You will be surprised how much your kids will learn naturally. When my kids were in elementary, I tried to keep workbooks to a minimum.

As for your question about working and homeschooling, I have worked part time for 5 years. One of the perks of homeschooling is that it can happen at any time and anywhere. Also, it doesn't take 7 hours to do 'school' at home. Your kids are young, so your main focus with them may be reading, writing and arithmetic. That shouldn't take more than a few hours, if you include some fun hands-on projects/crafts once or twice a week. Here is a the forum for working parents. You may want to introduce yourself there, and maybe poke around at the questions and answers from other parents.

I noticed you already introduced yourself at the South Dakota forum. I hope you get some replies and get connected. A web site I like to keep handy for information is HSLDA. If you look to the right on their home page, you can find a link to Support Groups. That should help you find support groups in your area. I think that was the best thing I did when I started homeschooling. I got so much support from so many homeschool families. Our kids have grown up with so many other homeschoolers. Even when some have moved to another state, we've stayed in touch.

So Sydnie, anytime you have any questions, we are all here to help. I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Janet
    homeschooling 3 (2 High school & 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W)
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

That is some great advice, Janet! I too work and homeschool, but very part time. Most of year I am able to work from home, and it's only a few hours a week. During the months of January and February, I work full time outside of the home for an accountant. It's tough when you work, but like Janet said...homeschooling can happen anytime, and being flexible and changing up our days help to break the monotony.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing you around the boards...
    lovehmschlg likes this.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!