new to homeschooling
    Sarah Morgan Sanders is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to homeschooling

hi, i am recently home schooling my 7 and 6 year olds. i havent decided if this will be permanent or not. i would love ant advice on how to help them learn better or hands on activities for home school. my 7 year old is dyslexic does anyone have a special needs child..

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Sarah!
    I would suggest you download the Homeschooling Guide book found on the left side of this page at the top. It is free and was written by homeschooing families for new homeschooling families. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming,

We do have a special needs forum here at the Community. I am sure you will find others in your same situation. About 20% of our users are special needs learners. My DD has dyslexia and ADHD. She used Time4Learning until she went into high school. The flash animation and humor kept her attention. Many dyslexic students use the program with great success.

Check our supplemental section for ideas and links to great resources. I would like to also suggest your kid try using Vocabulary Spelling City, Learning Games for Kids, and Vocabulary is Fun. All the sites are free to use and are excellent.

Keep us informed,and best wishes!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Sarah.
    Welcome to T4L and to homeschooling. We have a 17-yo daughter and 15-yo twins (boy & girl). Our twin daughter has Down syndrome. Although she is 15, she is working at an elementary level. I can't tell you how great T4L has been for our daughter. We do other things besides T4L, but I cannot imaging educating our daughter without it. She loves it and I never have to fuss with her to do school. She's an avid reader, but she struggles with reason and logic and some comprehension, so I love that she can repeat her lessons as often as necessary. But I also like that the lessons are created in such a way that they explain concepts in several ways to help the student understand.

Sarah, even though our daughter doesn't have dyslexia, I found some things in this download on Homeschooling Your Child With Dyslexia helpful and informative.

I hope to see you around the forums.

Janet
    having fun learning with 2 high schoolers and 1 elementary, using T4L & T4W