New To Homeschooling
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg

Thread: New To Homeschooling

Default New To Homeschooling

Hello All,

My name is Katie and I am going to start homeschooling my 5th grader on the 18th. Do any of you have any advice that would be helpful or something that you wish you had known from the beginning?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Katie. Welcome to the forums. I also have a fifth grader. The thing I wish I had know in the beginning is that it just is not that important. Please don't misunderstand, learning is important. But doing it all today is not. There is nothing that is so vital it must be done today. Be patient with yourself and your child. By the end of the year it will all work out just fine. Sometimes we think we have to do it all at once but we don't.
    bailbrae and TraleneB like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Katie.
    Are you new to homeschooling? If so, this Welcome to Homeschooling Guide should be very helpful.

There's something that I did that I'm so glad I encouraged in my children, and that is writing. I would have them write something at least three times a week, whether it was journaling, writing about a field trip we just took, a letter to a friend or family member, and as they got older, an essay on a book or particular topic. I started saving these samples of their writing in a large notebook. It's nice to look back and see their progress. Some of these papers, like the journals and field trip pages, I did not correct or edit. They are as is. Some of the essays I would correct or have them make changes, and I saved the old as well as they new. If they wrote a letter and it was okay with them, I'd make a copy and put it in the folder. Also, I took a lot of pictures. I always wish I'd taken more, though. And I suggest you find a good filing system for the digital pictures. If possible, I'd print a few each year and start an album.

I'm making these suggestions because I had my first homeschooler graduate and it was so nice to see the progression of their school years in her writing as well as in pictures. It was on display on her graduation table.

Lastly, just enjoy every moment. They may not remember all the academics they're learning, but they'll remember the special time with mom as their teacher...field trips together.
    If you haven't yet, try to find a homeschool support group in your area. These are great for educational as well as social events.

Enjoy your homeschooling journey!
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 08-11-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    bailbrae likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass