New to HomeSchooling

Default New to HomeSchooling

Hello, My name is Andria Hogan and I just registered for my 12 year old son to start the home school learning. I am nervous, and I have no clue what to do. I am praying this works out for us.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to HomeSchooling

Hi, Andrea!

We're glad you're here!

You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Since you said you are brand new to homeschooling, you will probably have questions as you get started. Remember that we're here to help!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

spoiledmama is offline Junior Member

I'm in the same boat. I am so nervous. I have three of them and we just pulled them from virtual school. It was literally all spelled out for us through the k12 public school. I am scared of being on my own and making sure my kids are learning everything they should be. I had a huge role in their learning with k12 but there was still so much teacher and staff involvement. I wanted so bad to break away. I just want to make sure I'm teaching them properly.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, spoiledmama! Welcome to the forum!

What's "properly"? LOL! There are as many ways to teach as there are teachers. Each school, curriculum, virtual school, or homeschooling parent will have their own ideas about what to teach, in what order, and how in-depth to go. If your student is doing well on one or two learning activities in each subject per day, I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes, the virtual schools do tend to try and keep a student working for a traditional six-hour school day. That means they get a lot of fairly pointless busy work. Homeschooling is much more efficient than traditional school and does not require much time. There isn't time wasted on roll call, assemblies, waiting in line for equipment use, and other "crowd control" things. Also, a student doesn't have to wait until the end of a designated class period before going on to the next subject. If they finish their 20-question math test in ten minutes and that's all they have scheduled for math that day, they can go right on to science or social studies instead of being obligated to read or doodle until the end of the class period.

I've looked at the virtual schools, and they seem to provide the worst of both worlds. One of the joys of homeschooling is the freedom to do things your way, and in the way you feel will work best for your child. (You can also experiment and change your mind along the way.) In a virtual school, not only does the student have to do things the school's way . . . but the parent does, too!

We're happy to have you with us. Please share more as you go along, and be sure and ask any questions you might have.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

spoiledmama is offline Junior Member

Kelly, excellent point! I guess I'm so use to public school that I feel if I'm not following how they do things then my kids aren't learning what they need to be prepared later in life. I constantly question if they will know enough history or science or whatever lol. But I guess teaching them "properly" can be however I want it to be. I appreciate the advice and a different view point.

MJ510 is offline Member

Still trying to 'deschool' and get settled in your homeschool? These ideas can help:

4 Ways to Manage a Midyear Homeschool Transition