New to HomeSchooling
" "
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jspringer74

Thread: New to HomeSchooling

Junior Member Newbie

Default New to HomeSchooling

Hello Everyone! My name is Jennifer this is my first year homeschooling. My child is currently in the 8th grade.

Looking forward to a great first year of Home Schooling.
    Charris7925 likes this.

Default Re: New to HomeSchooling

Hi, Jennifer - welcome aboard! I have a 2nd grader, 10th, and 12th grader. Also have one starting her second year of University.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jennifer! Welcome!

The kids I still have at home are 19 (in college to be a teacher), 15 (using T4L's high school curriculum), and 12 (with Down syndrome/autism/SPD/ADHD/etc.). The others are 23 (chef and daddy of two boys), 25 (brewery manager), and 32 (electronics engineer).

Please stick around and share what's going on in your home school! We're happy to have you here!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

One of our goals this year is to homeschool our daughter for 3-year Pre-k. The truth is, I have zero desire to homeschool my kids, but since we do not have the room in our budget to send Charlotte to private Pre-K, we opted for homeschooling. We do not want Charlotte to be behind when he enters Pre-k. After speaking with one of my friends who is a former preschool teacher and doing a lot of research we set up the preschool curriculum. We decided to give structure solely for our (parents) benefits so we can gauge well how Charlotte is doing well in some areas. Now, my next step is to designate space for everything. I don't want to run from room to room, gathering supplies when I sit down to do something with the kids. I need to create a space which can hold most of my things so that I can enjoy teaching the kids. I have already bought some necessary stationery supplies like crayons, markers, coloured pencils, foam sheets and stickers, construction paper etc. I have also ordered for kids furniture and trays. Look forward to having a great year ahead with my baby.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi, Jennifer! Welcome!

The kids I still have at home are 19 (in college to be a teacher), 15 (using T4L's high school curriculum), and 12 (with Down syndrome/autism/SPD/ADHD/etc.). The others are 23 (chef and daddy of two boys), 25 (brewery manager), and 32 (electronics engineer).

Please stick around and share what's going on in your home school! We're happy to have you here!
    Reassuring to see you have been with T4L through multiple children with success. This was a huge step for our family.

Junior Member Newbie

Hello friends, My name is Ram Sharma. i am from India and this is my first year homeschooling. My child is currently in the 3rd grade.

Junior Member Newbie

Hi Jennifer,
    Welcome.
    I am also new to homeschooling. We decided to pull our 8th Grade daughter out of public school. So far she loves being able to sleep a little later and work at her own pace. I hope that I can learn from others on here and find our how to go about the end-of-grade testing??

Connie

Blog Entries

Hi Connie,

You mentioned end of grade testing, so I thought I'd chime in. You'll need to find out what your state guidelines are regarding testing. Our state requires homeschoolers to do standardized testing once every three years. But, there are some states that do not require any testing at all.

But, when it is time for that we have several options. You can check with homeschool co-ops in your local area to see where they go, you can join an umbrella school (this is what we do - they keep our transcript records for us and also give standardized testing), you could use a company that offers standardized testing online , or visit a testing center in your area.

Hope that helps!
    Jamie
    Mother of six- homeschooling healthy with MOMSCHOOL
    Online Education for Kids and Homeschool Online