New to Homeschooling
    Homeschool75 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling

Hello everyone, I am a mother of 2. My 7 year old is In the 2nd grade and we have decided to homeschool her. My youngest is just turning 2. I am feeling overwhelmed. We are going to work with T4L because I want to be in control of her education. Can anyone give me any tips on how to start. Should I set a certain amount of time for her studies. I don't want to overwhelm her either. PLz any advice or tips would be welcome. If anyone could just run down a basic day for me that would be great as well.. Thank you

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New to Homeschooling

I use the activity planner with my 2nd grader. I set a beginning and an end date and then she works on her lessons each day. It honestly doesn't take her more than an hour or so at the computer. We do print all the worksheets and she works on those, too.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Homeschooling

Hi. Welcome!

A frequent misunderstanding is that homeschooled children should be "doing school" the majority of the day, and that children in public school are hitting the books the entire time they are there. I agree with Robin that your second grader won't be busy at her online lessons for very long each day. Here's an article you might find helpful: How Long is a Homeschool Day?

As far as setting a schedule, if you want her to finish all of the second grade level work in one year, you can use the curriculum calculator to help determine how many activities in each subject she would need to do.

Keep in mind that every curriculum will have its own ideas about what to include in each grade level, the order they present it, and which topics to skim and which to explore in-depth. No two programs will be the same, so don't stress about exactly what she's doing, as long as she is doing something every day. Time4Learning provides a lot of resources, and you don't have to use them all.

Make it fun!

And do stick around the forum to let us know how it's going!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!