New to homeschooling after 5 yrs public school. HELP!!
    mom3-1 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Lightbulb New to homeschooling after 5 yrs public school. HELP!!

I am new to homeschooling with 3 girls in K, 2, and 4th grades. I also have a 2yr old son. I decided to homeschool my kids after I felt that they were getting left behind at their old school. I spent all of my time trying to review the daily school work with my 2 oldest girls every afternoon when they got home just so they could have the chance and the time to learn the lesson that the teacher did not give them time for in class. My 9 yr old daughter repeatedly asked for help from the teacher and was told that she didn't have time to review with her. So, for several reasons I decided to homeschool against family and friends advice; now I am scared to death wondering did I do the right thing and where to go from here. Any and all help would be appreciated.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! I was in the same boat as you...pulled my oldest out of 1st grade in a fit of anger, only to realize I had NO IDEA what I was going to do, lol. Lean on support wherever you can find it, even if it's only online support. Join groups and ask for help. Don't forget to vent when you need to.

Here is a wonderful Welcome to Homeschooling ebook that's perfect for new homeschoolers. I would also suggest you join the Alabama homeschool forum we have here to try and connect with members that might be local to you.

I would tell you not to worry, but that would be silly. As parents, that's what we do, lol. But I will tell you that 1st grader that I pulled out of school and felt lost with, is now starting his 9th grade year. At home. And we have never looked back!

Good luck, and always feel free to ask any questions you may have...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, Mom3-1.
    Welcome to T4L and to homeschooling. I know it can be scary, but you're not alone. I often say that if I can do it, anyone can. I've been homeschooling our 3 children going on 13 years now. The elementary years were, without a doubt, the easiest. It's high school that has always made me nervous. But they're there now and doing great. They've learned to be self-learners and disciplined in getting their work done. At this stage, I just supervise and check their work.
    There were times I questioned if I was teaching them enough, but at the end of the year when I had them evaluated or tested, those fears were layed to rest when I read their results. They always tested above average for their grade level. They just love to read. I think that's most important.
    I think it's important that you find a homeschool support group in your area so that you and your kids can get connected with other homeschool families. Also, don't try to duplicate the classroom. Read books on homeschooling and homeschool blogs. I had to change my whole way of thinking about education. It's not all about textbooks. Learning happens every day in so many ways. And yet I have to tell you I love Time4Learning because it holds us accountable to covering the main subjects. We love Time4Learning!! I love that it frees me up from having to prepare lesson plans and do record-keeping. I have more time for the kids.
    So Mom3-1, you can do it!!! Just give yourself some time to fall into your own 'groove'. I look forward to hearing back from you with praise reports of how glad you are to have chosen to homeschool.....but don't get discouraged when you have bad days. 13 years in and trust me, we have our share of those bad days. Sometimes we just have to put our work away and go out to the museum or a movie or the park....
    Enjoy your new journey homeschooling.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass