New to Homeschooling, any and all advice appreciated
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ReadingDad

Thread: New to Homeschooling, any and all advice appreciated

zharris2010 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Post New to Homeschooling, any and all advice appreciated

Hello!!

I have a son that is five, will be six come October. We've decided we want to homeschool him but i have NO CLUE how to get started. We just signed up for the Time4Learning program tonight (hell start it after he gets over this stomach virus) but I feel like I'm really missing some steps. What did you guys do to get started on the path? I am in major need of help. Will this program be enough or does he also need something else like BookShark or one of those packaged programs? Ah, I just feel so overwhelmed on it all. Anyone here in Kansas that can lend me some advice and basically really help me out? I need someone to lean on and take me under their wing.

Thanks for reading!
    Zandren & Rylan (Ryebread)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Homeschooling, any and all advice appreciated

I'm not in Kansas, but I want to welcome you to the forum and offer you some resources to get you started.

First of all, relax! Your child is young, and you have a lot of time. It isn't a race, so take your time. I sort of re-assessed all my kids when they reached middle school age. Since they are finished learning all the basic things by then, it's a good time to go back and review anything they might have missed.

You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

I also suggest those new to homeschooling read How Long is a Homeschool Day? and Homeschool or School at Home?

Each state has its own homeschool laws, and they are all very different. In Kansas, a homeschool is considered a private school. Here is what you must do as of the date of this post. This isn't legal advice, since it's just a homeschool mom's interpretation on Kansas homeschool laws.

1. Register your private school.

Choose a name for your school. Register the name and address with the State Board of Education, and keep a copy of that registration for your personal files.
    You must only register your private school’s name once, when you start homeschooling.

2. Select competent instructors.

Your child’s teacher(s) must be “competent.” That includes you, if you are teaching your child directly. (Kelly's Note: Most states recognize that a parent is uniquely qualified to teach their own child, regardless of their own educational background. Since the parent presumably taught the child to walk, talk, and eat with a spoon, they are in touch with how to teach that child. A few states require the parent to have a high school diploma or GED. Kansas just says you need to be "competent", without defining the term further.)

3. Teach for the required period.

You are required to teach your child for about the same period of time as the public schools. That’s usually 186 days. (Kelly's Note: Don't forget to count all school time . . . Lunch, recess, reading while the teacher attends to another student or some other business, field trips, etc. Homeschoolers also legitimately count arts and crafts, Scouts, 4H, part time jobs or volunteer work, Little League, piano lessons, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics. )

4. There are no required subjects (but here’s what most schools teach).

There are no specific subject requirements in Kansas law. However, most schools teach (at a minimum):

• reading,
    • writing,
    • arithmetic,
    • geography,
    • spelling,
    • English grammar and composition,
    • civil government,
    • United States and Kansas history,
    • patriotism and the duties of a citizen,
    • health, and
    • hygiene.

(Kelly's Note: Few families teach every, single subject during every, single school year. Time4Learning covers all of the above at some point, and usually reviews it throughout.)

5. Plan and schedule your instruction.

The law requires that your instruction be planned and scheduled.

6. Test your student periodically.

Kelly's Note: The law doesn't define what kind of tests you must use, and there is nothing that requires you to provide the results to the school district.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Welcome to Time4Learning!

ReadingDad is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Re: New to Homeschooling, any and all advice appreciated

Actually, according to what I've read on homeschooling in Kansas, it's pretty simple. You have to register as a non-accredited private school. After registering, you have to fulfill two requirements: providing a competent instructor and instruction in "substantially equivalent period of time." Kansas requires 1160 hours to a school year. How you choose to organize your efforts to achieve that many hours. It's simply a matter of creating a plan and keeping a record of how you achieved that plan.

zharris2010 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile Re: New to Homeschooling, any and all advice appreciated

Thank you ladies so much! I got us registered yesterday after finally coming up with a name. I guess the hard part now is coming up with a planned out schedule. Do you all have any advice on that or a sample of how you do yours?

Thanks again!
    Zannie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Glad you're getting all settled in! Here's a good article about "schedules". How Long is a Homeschool Day?

As far as scheduling Time4Learning lessons, log in to your parent dashboard and click on Create Plan to explore the planning tools Time4Learning offers.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!