new to homeschooling in Ga
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By katshu2

Thread: new to homeschooling in Ga

mnadejesus is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to homeschooling in Ga

Hi, my name is Nicole. We use to homeschool previously when we lived in Indiana. Upon moving here to Bartow Co. we changed to public school...and we are extremely unhappy with it. Everyday I feel like I'm dropping my son off at some place where teachers get to experience his learning and I don't...it's my understanding that here in Georgia it's no longer required to report attendance, but grades are. My worry is not finding a good group for us to have play dates with, holiday parties and field trips...any tips are appreciated!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Nicole. Welcome to the Parent Forums. The first thing I would suggest is that you check out the Georgia Parent Forums. These are people who have been there and done that in your state. They will be your best source of information. Look for your state's laws online. One of my favorite sources for information on this is Ann Zeise. There are many great homeschool support groups throughout the state. Best wishes on this journey. As you already know, it is a great experience.
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, Nicole. I Googled Homeschool support group in Bartow county, Georgia and I got a few sites. Here are some:
    Homeschool World: Georgia Homeschool Organizations and Support Groups
    Homeschooling Support Groups in Georgia - Homeschoolfacts.com
    http://a2zhomeschooling.com/regional...west_region_1/

And this is the Georgia Home Education Association. You should be able to find all the information you need on homeschooling in Georgia, support groups, co-ops, conferences, ets.
    GHEA - Find a Local Support Group

Hope that helps.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Nicole! I homeschool in GA and you do not have to report attendance any longer. I believe the laws state you just need to keep the attendance reports in your records. The only thing at this time that you need to report to the state is the declaration of intent each year. Everything else the state asks you to do (annual progress report, testing every three years, etc.), you only need to keep for your records. You don't turn them in.

Hope that helped. Good luck, and I hope to chat with you in the GA forum!
    lovehmschlg likes this.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Katie is correct. It's so good to have this forum to learn from each other. We live in Florida and we only have to submit our letter of intent to homeschool one time, at the beginning of the first homeschool year. Georgia it's every year.
    Here is the Georgia Department of Education link for that. As always and with anything we're not the final authority. I'd confirm that with them.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Also, check with your local support groups, they will tend to have a good handle on changing laws or upcoming events that you might need to attend regarding homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!