New homeschooling mom from Texas
    Mrs.AdamsTX is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New homeschooling mom from Texas

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jackie and I am going to start homeschooling my 8 year old son this summer and hopefully on to next year! I am very nervous because my son has Autism and speech delay with signs of ADHD. He currenty is in a Life Skills class with a "teacher" who does not care about anything. In previous years he did wonderful but since the new lady came he has regressed to his first year of school. He was held back in Kindergarten and will be going to second grade. He has fallen so behind and the school does not care. We have met with both principals, the teacher, superintendent, special ed director and the teacher numerous times all year and nothing has been done. I do not know what to do, I am so fed up so I am turning to this hoping it works.

Thanks Jackie

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Jackie. I'm so sorry for the troubles you and your son have experienced this year in school.

We've been homeschooling for 12 years. Our youngest daughter has Down syndrome, and we started using Time4Learning 4 years ago. I cannot tell you how great it has been for her. She gets to work at her own pace. She learns best with repetition. So there are times that we need to repeat a lesson a time or two. I like that if I need her to, she can work independently while I'm not too far away. She calls me if she needs help, or I can check her progress report for her score.
    I have friends who have their kids in school and continue to struggle with the school system and their IEPs. I think that would be harder for me than homeschooling my daughter, but I also understand that homeschooling is not for everyone.

The summer gives you a perfect opportunity to try out Time4Learning. We tried several other curricula before we found T4L. I hope it works as well for you as it has for us. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to come back to the forums and ask us. We are all in this together and are always happy to share what we've learned on our own homeschooling journey. Also, I've had to call support at T4L a few times and the staff there is very friendly and helpful.

You may find this link to Helps and Hints helpful in helping you use special tools on the site. Although, you'll find that T4L is very easy to navigate. Oh, one more tip that might help your son. My daughter likes using headphones to help with any distractions when her brother and sister are doing their work in the same room. The only thing is that you then cannot hear the lessons.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass