new to homeschooling from VA
    trishtreeann is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to homeschooling from VA

hi Im new to this due to my son not getting the help he needed in school. he is behind in reading so i decided to try to get him up to the level he should be at by homeschooling him. ive never home schooled any of my children before so any advice would help.
    thanks,
    teresa

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Teresa, and welcome to the T4L family.

Homeschooling is a journey with lots of hills and curves at times. You and your son might want to take some time to work into everything. One of the beauties of homeschooling is that you can be very flexible.

Are you a member of any local homeschool support groups or local homeschool co-op's? I would check your area by maybe Googling 'homeschool co-op's + your town or a town close to you' and the same for homeschool support groups.

Here is a free e-book just for new homeschooling families that was written by veteran homeschooling families. It's comprehensive without being overwhelming. I also suggest you check out the VA State Forum.

Best Tip==Homeschooling is NOTHING like public school, so don't try to make it like the classroom. ")

Best wishes and be sure to keep us in the loop.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Teresa.

Welcome to Time4Learning and to the homeschooling community.

You don't say how old your son is. Jackie has given you some great information, the most important of which is that homeschooling is really nothing like public school....or like some of us like to say "brick and mortar" school.

Now that your son will be learning at home, you will soon see how he will blossom. Even if you only spend 2 to 3 hours a day doing actual 'school' that's more than he will get in a whole day or even 2 days in school. He is getting one-on-one attention from you. I wouldn't be too concerned that he is behind in reading. I would spend as much time as I could just reading good books to him and with him. My main goal would be to get him to enjoy reading and develop a love for learning. Pick books that would excite him and get him interested and lost in the story. What does he like? Most young children like reading stories about animals. Make an outing of going to the library once a week and have some frozen yogurt afterward. While at the library, ask the librarian to help you find some books for your son's age. Most libraries and book stores have storytime and craft.
    As a new homeschooler, start slow. If he's in early elementary, you have plenty of time to catch up. Again, don't think you have to spend 4 hours or more schooling if your son is in early elementary. Remember that time in school in a classroom of 20+ kids is different than time at home with just mom as your teacher.

Also, get connected with other homeschooling families through a homeschool support group. I did a quick search and came up with these two links that show several:
    Local Homeschool Groups | VaHomeschoolers
    Homeschool World: Virginia Homeschool Organizations and Support Groups

Enjoy your homeschool journey...even the rough days are growing and learning days.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 10-26-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass