New to the homeschooling world.......and a little nervous.......but also excited!
    BlessedthroughKnowledge is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to the homeschooling world.......and a little nervous.......but also excited!

Hello everyone!

This is an exciting moment for myself and my children. I'm a mom and have 2 boys, 2 and 13 years of age. I am very receptive to any suggestions anyone has to offer. My biggest concern would be the actual time frame for academic instruction for 7th-8th grade level. Right now I'm doing 2 hours a day, 30 minutes for each subject. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome!

My oldest is in 7th grade and he probably only has about two hours a day of formal "educational instruction." But...I have a very liberally skewed sense of "educational instruction" time, lol. He is an avid reader. He loves Google and Wikipedia, and he has every science and nature program that Netflix offers in our instant queue (and he watches them all the time!). He plays soccer and is in Scouts. He enjoys creative writing and he likes to paint. I include just about everything he does, even cooking, in our schedule as "educational instruction."

Don't worry about being nervous. I have been homeschooling since 2005 and I still get nervous. I just had to find that place in my head where I stopped feeling guilty about being nervous.

I would like to throw out a couple of links that you might find helpful:

Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
    Getting Started with Time4Learning Guide

I would also like to invite you to join the North Carolina homeschool forum we have here. It can be a great resource for keeping up with homeschool laws/activities/etc., in the state; but also a good way to try and meet other homeschoolers near you!

Good luck! Always feel free to ask any questions you have, and please keep us posted as to how things are going with you...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to T4L!!! I can tell you that when my son sent thru that grade that we too did about 2 hours of instructional lessons. Then the rest of the day we did things like typing, animal studies, spanish, he also likes video game design so he would work on game level design as well. OH and I can't forget our most hated of subjects spelling!! (which we still are working on! but getting better with help from site like SpellingCity) Feel free to ask in the NC forum as well ( I am the moderator for NC) because there are some great members with great tips as well. BUT it sounds like you are doing it right!!! Feel free to ask any questions you might have!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Robin is offline Senior Member

At this age, I am preparing for the rigorous schedule of high school. We definitely spend an hour on math and english (separately), other subjects may take less time. Science and social studies may be about 30-45 minutes depending on our discussions. I also have the kids do silent reading each day for at least an hour. They've done this since they were little.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Ky nine year old spends about an hour on the days that we do school. We are very laid back, almost unschoolers.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota