New from Indiana
    Dearheart is offline Junior Member

Default New from Indiana

Hello everyone, I am a mother of two kids whom I started to homeschool, using Time4Learning and ourselves as teachers.

I have an 11 year old son who is diagnosed with a form of autism called Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, moderately severe. He was participating in a normal 4th grade class for about 80% of his day, the rest either with a speech teacher, special ed teacher, or another aid. Last year he started to emotionally have problems, mainly associated with the fact that he could not make friends. Despite his problems, he never got into trouble. This year, however, there was an 'accident' and the way the school handled it drew the line for us, and by the next week we pulled him and my daughter.

My daughter is 8 years old, was in the 3rd grade, and has a brilliant mind. When she was in the 2nd grade, her teacher could see how far ahead she was, and had her do extensive testing. Her reading comprehension scored that of a 6th grader, but that was the highest they could score and believed it would be higher. Her favorite book series is Harry Potter, she has read them all and reread them over and over. Unfortunately, our daughter is also a very stressed out little girl. Every year, since kindergarten, she quite often comes home sad or upset over something that has happened at school. When we talked to her about homeschooling, she immediately begged for us to start it and has since flourished. She is eagerly learning all that she can. Testing her, she understands everything for 3rd grade already, but is at normal grade level for math. Plus we are integrating social studies, science, more art and more music.

Sorry this is a little long, but here we are and we are all very happy with choosing homeschooling. Thank you for reading.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to to time4learing. We love new members who are so excited I love to hear people excited about their children learning and the program they are using. Have you checked out our special needs forum or even the Indiana forum to see what is going on in your state?
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

hi DearHeart. I'm the moderator over on the Indiana Forum. I just wanted to extend an invitation to you to come over and visit with us. Brandy gave you the link. We would love to meet you over there.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, Dearheart. Welcome to Time4Learning and to homeschooling.
    We have 5 kids. Our 2 oldest went to public school, and the 3 youngest we homeschool. I have a daughter with special needs, also. She has Down syndrome. She uses T4L and loves it! She also likes SpellingCity, where her favorite 'game' is Sentence Unscramble. She thinks she's just playing, but she's also learning.
    As I read about your daughter I thought how perfect T4L will be for her because she has 3 different grade levels to choose from for each of the subjects. I mean, she won't be confined to 3rd grade across the board if she can do, say, 4th or 5th grade Literature. Ah, the beauty of homeschooling. She is going to blossom as a homeschooler, getting to learn at her level and to delve deaper into subjects that interest her. Your son, too, as he gets one-on-one attention.