Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Member

Tina DeGeer is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New Member

Hello one and all. My name is Tina and my daughter and I just joined T4L yesterday. We live in NH and have been unschooling for the past 3 yrs. however she seems to need and want more structure so I started searching the internet as well as facebook and found this. After talking to a few other homeschool moms that are friends of mine I decided to give it a shot. My 12 yr. old daughter loved the demos so I am truly excited to see how she progresses with this program. I am a little confused as how to set things up so we are taking these first few days to figure it out. I look forward to getting to know some of you and am hoping that not only will she grow and blossom with the program but perhaps use the forums to maybe make some friends in real life as well.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Tina! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and tell us a little about your daughter.

Here is a great Hints and Help page that can help you figure out more about the site (navigating, using the lesson plans/activity scheduler, etc.). You can also browse through the other boards here and see how different families use T4L.

We do have a New Hampshire homeschool forum where you can try to connect with other who might be local to you.

Good luck! Always feel free to ask any questions you may have, and share your experiences with homeschooling/unschooling.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

bbooth is offline Member

Welcome Tina! I am sure you will enjoy T4L, it is a good program. If you search around the forums you will gain a lot of information as to how things work. It appears that not many members reply to the threads it the administrators seem to be up on things.
    bailbrae, jpenn and lovehmschlg like this.

SelfStdyScholar is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm new as well. I have 2 kids, ages 10 and 7. My son has ADD, and is slow in completing some of his work. I pushed him hard to see how much he could do when he was trying, and I think he can do about 12 - 14 lessons in a day. Today he did 2. One was quite long, but still. He took an assessment test and some of his 4th grade math skills are just not there. A friend referred me to a site that does free online math during the summer. I hope that will help, it's targeted to his weak spots. https://www.tenmarks.com/

I have him signed up for 2 science classes. Theoretically, we could drop one but I'd rather not. I'd rather take longer getting everything done. I believe in him. Dropping another class is a step I would rather avoid for now and the Earth Space and Physical Science are obviously related. It might help for the class materials to interact in his mind as he learns it. He really enjoys the humor in some of the presentations and when he found a place to rate it online his first word about time4learning was "EPIC!"

My daughter is doing better. I have her in 2nd grade math 3rd grade Lang. Arts and a 4th grade science class. She needs some help on the science particularly, but she is getting it. I know she still needs the phonics of 2nd grade, so we are tackling them in another way. I reviewed the lesson plans for 2nd grade and we will go over the phonics etc in stages. I just assigned her to write a short story using ee, ea and y words, some "frequently used words" and setting. I helped her brainstorm and provided a word bank of some words she might use. We'll see how she does in a bit. She did 7 (new) activities today and some review.

Both of them have trouble with anything written. I need to get them doing the spelling lists, but it's worse than pulling teeth. I liked it when the two of them set up their computers playing the same science lesson in stereo, then they separated to do the quiz/test and competed for the best score. I have Elizabeth go over the material once before her brother does it with her. I try to see where she needs help and pull up some you tube videos. She needs the extra help, after all she's only 7!

I need to get better set on my offline lessons. One thing I might do later is research the declaration of independence. I'd like to look up all the complaints they had and see just what was going on. In school we covered a few things, but the full list of grievances is rather extensive. Then we can look for parallels in current events.

Madebyme is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for the warm welcome and the info.
    bbooth likes this.

Madebyme is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for the info. and welcome we have much to learn but we are very excited

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Madebyme,

Welcome! So glad to hear about your excitement. Homeschooling is a very exciting journey with many ups and downs. Be sure to visit the other forums for great ideas and info.

Best wishes to you!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Abiola is offline Junior Member

Hello, am also new to T4L, my daughter is just 10 months old. when can she start the preschool curriculum. thanks

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abiola View Post
    Hello, am also new to T4L, my daughter is just 10 months old. when can she start the preschool curriculum. thanks
    Hi there! While you probably have at least a little time before she is ready, lol, she can ultimately start whenever you feel she's ready and you sign her up.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Abiola is offline Junior Member

Default Appropriate age to start preschool

Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    Hi there! While you probably have at least a little time before she is ready, lol, she can ultimately start whenever you feel she's ready and you sign her up.
    i would still love to know your, professional take... at what age can i sign her up for preschool? Thank you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast