New member and new to homeschooling
    AutismMama87 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New member and new to homeschooling

Hi! My name is Autumn. Our son Jake is 5 years old, he has Autism. We are starting homeschool this year. He goes to outpatient speech and occupational therapy weekly. He also attends a Summer Speech Program every year. It has helped him tremendously. My husband just got laid off and I'm wondering if there are any funds or grants available for homeschool in the state of Alabama? I started a GoFundMe, but so far no luck. We want more than anything to homeschool. We feel it is in our son's best interest. He attended public school for special needs preschool starting at age 3. The first year was great, his teacher specialized in Autism and Aba therapy. She was amazing. The second year she took another job, the new teacher didn't know very much about Autism at all. She called us daily, he cried everyday when we dropped him off. At that point he couldn't have told us what was wrong. We needed up pulling him the second year. So, on to our new adventure. I'm a stay at home mother and wife. We have two sons ages: 3 and 5. Any and all information is welcome! Also, anyone know of any great Kindergarten curriculum for Special needs? Thanks in advance! God bless!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Autumn. Welcome to the boards here! I can't give personal experience, homeschooling with autism or homeschooling in Alabama, but I can direct you to some of our other boards where you might have some luck connecting with others.

Here is our Alabama homeschooling forum. That would be the best place to try and see about state specific info, like grants and such.

And here is our special needs homeschool forum. Time4Learning has been a great curriculum for many families with kiddos on the spectrum. This would be the best board to try and ask questions, and even look at the questions that have already been answered...you might be surprised at how similar other families could be to yours.

One last place. While our boards here do have tons of helpful info, our Time4Learning Families group on Facebook tends to see more activity. I would suggest that you join there too, and get to know the other members.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing you around the boards.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Welcome, Autumn!