New member: special needs
    Slatteryclan94 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New member: special needs

Hi. My name is Cristina and I am new to all homeschooling and time for learning. I live in illinois. My husband and I have decided our oldest has reached the point where traditional schooling just is not an option. I have four kids, 11,9,9,7. My 11 year old is adopted and suffered some kind of fetal alcohol (they think) which has led to a lot of mental health issues. We have had them all in private Christian school, and they have been willing to work with Joel. However, he is supposed to,enter junior high and is not going to be able to do that. He isn't academically even a 7th grader, let alone emotionally.

I am a teacher. I will be teaching next year at a new school, which my other three kids will attend. Hence, I will not be home to work with Joel. Thankfully, my husband works from home and will be able to help Joel. We have him scheduled for different things, like a hands on science class at a studio, a visual math class for kids at the local college, and time 4 learning.

I don't know how this is going to go,but we feel that it is either this, or he has to go to public school, which we don't want for him. He has an iep in place, but they really won't do much for him. Most of his issues are mental, not physical.

So that is where we are. I know some people ask why I just don't stay home and homeschool all of them. That just isn't an option for us. My other three children do well in school, and the new school I will be in next year is a very academically strong Christian school which normally we could never afford. I don't want to take that away from them. Secondly, due to Joel's many issues, he does not respond well to me. Teaching him would be a nightmare. I think he would just fall further behind.

So here we are. He is just a non traditional child that needs a non Traditional schooling experience. We are just going to take it slowly and see where we are.

I would love some ideas, etc. from those that have been there. Joel can not write well, he can't even tie his shoes, so computer assisted is really the only option we can see right now.

I am sorry this is so long!!

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Hello and welcome Cristina,
    Wow it Sounds like Joels FAS was super bad to the point you might want to use down syndrome options for him. It would be worth trying or looking into anyways. If homeschooling is not option and traditional school is a letdown you could see if your area has a charter school. There are all different kinds. You could also see if there is grant program or funding through an agency to send him to a montessori school or something of the sort as well.
    I have a hard time with my daughter too. She can be stubborn and if I do not handle things right or make a mistake that day we will have a super bad day. I have to call grandma to give us a time out and do over to love each other again

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Cristina, and welcome. I don't question why you don't just homeschool all of your kiddos...I applaud you for trying to do what's right for ALL of your children, not just one. If your other children are doing well and thriving in their Christian school, then I think you are doing the right thing. It's also good that you recognize that Joel might respond better to your husband. It's tough as a mom to know when it's time to try something else and take a step back.

You may want to poke around our special needs forum and see if you can find any other members who have gone through something similar to what you are going through. It's also a good area to see how different families use T4L with their special needs kiddos.

Good luck and always feel free to ask any questions you may have or share your experiences with us here. Looking forward to checking back and seeing how things are going for you guys...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Simmons View Post
    Hello and welcome Cristina,
    Wow it Sounds like Joels FAS was super bad to the point you might want to use down syndrome options for him. It would be worth trying or looking into anyways. If homeschooling is not option and traditional school is a letdown you could see if your area has a charter school. There are all different kinds. You could also see if there is grant program or funding through an agency to send him to a montessori school or something of the sort as well.
    I have a hard time with my daughter too. She can be stubborn and if I do not handle things right or make a mistake that day we will have a super bad day. I have to call grandma to give us a time out and do over to love each other again
    Thanks, Brook, for chiming in!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!