New nc homeschooling mom

Smile New nc homeschooling mom

Hi! My name is Julia and I am from a small town in Eastern NC. I will begin homeschooling my 11 year old son Cody in February. I am taking this time to aquaint myself with T4L and everything about homeschooling! He is currently on home-bound from our counties public school system. That ends at the end of this month. He has ADHD, ODD, and other disorders. He has been in a self-contained classroom since third grade, and had gotten severely behind since then. They apparently are not held to the same standards of teaching as the teachers in the traditional classrooms. I had even expressed last year that I wanted him held back because I knew he was not academically ready for fifth grade, I was told since he had an IEP that they were not able to do so. On top of having that issue we also had problems with bullying from other kids in that classroom. Not just a few incidences, but many and they were reported to the teacher and administration several times with nothing really done to stop the behaviors. My breaking point was when my son had to be hospitalized because of the emotional trauma of being bullied by these two boys for over a year and the lack of help or support from the school in dealing with these problems and stopping them. I had to flat out demand the home-bound for him after his hospitalization. The ladies from the central office tried to fight me over that!!
    I am so excited to be starting this journey with my son! He is very bright, he has just been allowed to slip through the cracks in the public school system because of his conditions and classroom situation. I am ready to see him enjoy learning again! I am ready to catch him back up to his grade level so he doesn't have these feelings of inadequacy or feeling like he is not smart. I want him to feel confident and feel like the smart little boy that I already KNOW he is!! I look forward to interacting with you all and all suggestions/tips are welcome!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello Julia! Thank you so much for taking the time to introduce yourself, and your son. I am so, so sorry to hear that your son slipped through the cracks, and had such a bad time with the public school system. As you have probably found out by now, lol, you are certainly not alone...that's how many families find themselves homeschooling.

Here is a Welcome to Homeschooling guide that is a good reference for new homeschoolers. There is also this Hints and Help page that is a great tool for learning about the T4L site/program.

In addition to those links, I would like to recommend you check out the special needs forum (best place to meet other families who are homeschooling their learning-abled kiddos) and the North Carolina homeschool forum (best place to try and meet other homeschoolers who might be near you).

Good luck. It's awesome that you are so excited! I hope to check back in with you, and see how things are going for you and your son.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!