New in NC and way behind-- need help/advise
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wendy Collins CW

Thread: New in NC and way behind-- need help/advise

Wendy Collins CW is offline Junior Member

Default New in NC and way behind-- need help/advise

I had to pull my 12 year old out of 6th grade due to a abusive bullying situation, actually his Doctor pulled him out so I am now homeschooling.

Had I known time4learning existed Id of done this years ago so 2 weeks after my son left the Charter School, I brought my 9 yr old daughter home too.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to time4learning and to homeschooling. I feel so fortunate that we did learn about time4learning in the very beginning. We did not have to go through a bunch of other curriculums to get here. This is our fifth year in using this program with my nine year old son.

You may want to head on over to the North Carolina Parent Forum. It's a great place to meet others in your area. Also there is a wonderful Getting Started page for you to check out. Please let us know if there are any questions we might answer.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

ty for the tip

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Wendy I just wanted to introduce myself, My name is Michelle and I moderate the NC forum. So sorry for you troubles with bullying with your son. I experienced the same thing with my oldest and I pulled him out right after 5th grade (along with his younger brother). T4L is the best thing that I found that first couple of months of homeschooling, it kept us all sane and on track. And its the only thing that we still use from that first year. MY best advice is that you need to take it SLOW take your time getting him into homeschooling. I had planned a full day of stuff for all of us to do and after 6 months we were all burned out! Make sure to UNSCHOOL him and your daughter for a couple of months. By that I mean, have them use T4L, take field trips, and find ways to make learning FUN then start on adding more things to your day one thing at a time Hope this helps!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

ty I think thats my problem, Im so worried about the cat or pass have not decided yet that Im trying to shove the entire core standards in them in a very short period of time, guess worst that will happen is they don't do well and I go from there.

If Id found time 4 Learning sooner I would never have sent either of them to school but whats done is done and I guess I did not look hard enough 7 years ago, all I fund then was $700 a semetser stuff but when I had no other choice but to find something I did.

Cody wants me to give him a list of what I expect to be done By the end of the week and him to it at his pace when he is "in the mood" for that topic, so we will try it that way and see if he piddles or not.

Emily wants exact days and times to do each thing, if I give her 0- mins of la/+La ext and she gets done sooner that the list I made she goes to play.

I also cut back on Monday, turned health into our grocery shopping since we always go On Monday.

We go to staples at least 2 times a week, still figuring out what I need to be organized, so going to work that into something for time credit.

ty all for all the tips, I feel much better about next week, we went over the schedules last night and cut and moved a lot of things to get Some "easy" time everyday instead of lazy Friday.
    pandahoneybee likes this.

Blog Entries

Did you know you can get a teacher's discount card for Staples? Apply online. Then you get free delivery on everything no matter how small the order. Here it usually comes the next day or the day following. It saves a lot of trips to the store.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Collins CW View Post
    Cody wants me to give him a list of what I expect to be done By the end of the week and him to it at his pace when he is "in the mood" for that topic, so we will try it that way and see if he piddles or not.
    I have a friend who does this with her 12 year old. If he gets all of his work done by Friday afternoon he earns extra computer time over the weekend. If he doesn't get it done he loses time with his friends and all computer for the weekend. Of course you would have to figure out consequences that work for your son. But this method works for her.

Thanks I have the discount card

I do that too, he likes a few games on facebok so if his work is not done each day he is not allowed computer time

Blog Entries

I'm glad that works for you. Doesn't work with my nine year old.