new to T4L

Thread: new to T4L

amyfarren is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to T4L

I am a new member to time 4 Learning and very happy about it. I'm currently doing the program with my preschooler but would like to do it with my 7 and 9 year old also. I have two questions. I thought there was something for my 4 year old to work on his name, does anyone know where I can find that? I don't see it in the preschool site. My other question is to anyone who uses this program for your older kids. I would like to homeschool my 2nd and 3rd grader but my husband is not convinced on homeschooling. Can anyone give me postitive feed back on homeschooling your children and if T4L has worked and kept them learning? Thank you.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Amy, and welcome! My boys have used T4L for years. My oldest is in 8th grade and he started with 2nd grade. My youngest is now in 3rd grade and he started with the PreK program. I don't remember about working on his name though...I will have to double check and go back and look, lol. I can tell you that he did ultimately learn to write his name using a dry erase board. He loved being able to erase so easily.

I am a HUGE advocate for homeschooling. Having said that, it's certainly not the right fit for every family. For my family, we can't imagine doing anything else. My boys play soccer with the local recreation department, they are in scouts and 4h, they attend a fine arts program for homeschoolers and they have play dates/field trips with a homeschool group. They have NO desire to go to school, lol.

For more feedback, you could poke around the other boards on the forum here. There are lots of different homeschooling families represented.

There are a couple of links I can recommend to you too... This Welcome to Homeschooling guide is a great resource for new homeschoolers. And this Hints and Help page is wonderful for learning more about the T4L program and navigating the site.

I would also like to invite you to join the Michigan homeschool group we have here. You may be able to locate other homeschoolers who are local to you.

Good luck, and please feel free to ask any questions you may have! Looking forward to chatting with you more...
    Last edited by bailbrae; 01-10-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Amy.

Welcome to Time4Learning. I'm sorry, we didn't start T4L in pre-school, so I don't have the answer to your question. Katie's idea of using a dry-erase board sounds great! I'm sure your son would love that. If you have an iPad, there is a free app that we just got called ABC Easy Writer. This one is for cursive, but I'm pretty sure there is one for print also. She just traces over the letters with her finger.

We have been homeschooling our 3 younger kids since the beginning. Our 2 older ones are adults, and they attended public school. Our oldest daughter, who lives in NC, decided this year to homeschool our granddaughter, who started 2nd grade this year. They are loving homeschooling!! She also uses Time4Learning. In addition to T4L, she does a lot of reading with our granddaughter and some copywork/dictation (for handwriting and punctuation).

My husband was not thrilled with the idea of homeschooling in the beginning either, but he decided to give it a try. I went to the library and checked out every book there was on homeschooling. I also found a homeschool support group in our area and started attending their meetings. We started to learn more about homeschooling and meeting a lot of families who homeschool. We also went to the Florida Homeschool Convention. That's when my husband really came on board! He was so impressed with everything he saw and heard. It just changed his whole perspective of homeschoolers. What impressed him most was the families (especially the children, their ability to hold a conversation with any adult on a variety of topics).

Over the years, our kids have participated in our local homeschool athletic association (PE), Drama Club, 4-H, Spelling Bees, Geography Bees, Speech and Debate Tournaments, put together yearbooks with other teens in our support group, attended many field trips and homeschool events. They play the piano and guitar, and are on the youth band at church. So you see, we are very active. The homeschool support group also does graduation, prom, homecoming dance. We haven't missed out on any good thing. Our kids haven't asked once to go to public school.

I agree with Katie, it's not for everyone. I would do all the research I can and present it to my husband. If you know a family who homeschools, maybe have them over for dessert and a chat. I would also use Google to search Michigan Homeschool. I hope this helps. I look forward to seeing you on the forums more.

Janet

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add a couple of things for your consideration...the white board...we have 3 different sizes and use them for everything from keeping a calendar, to working math problems, to writing spelling words. Love the white board and so does my daughter (6th/7th grade work).

As for seeing positive forward progress in my daughter's education, we started mid year, and jumped a grade (I pulled her out of 1st grade and started 2nd grade Time4Learning). From 2nd grade until 6th grade she remained a year ahead of her public school peers. Time4Learning offers more information than would typically be covered in a public school year. The reasons my daughter is back even with her public school age peers is not because of the homeschool curriculum, but because of family issues that delayed school somewhat.
    (My mother was very ill, had to move out of her home to live with family, we moved 500 miles away, stuff like that!)

Thank goodness for homeschooling! Had we been public schoolers (I can't afford private) dealing with the demands of life woud have made schooling very difficult. Homeschooling is very flexible and accomodates lots of life changes. It also takes into account a child's individual needs...need more time on multiplication tables then take it. Child zips through entire grade level of science? Then move on to the next grade even if it is in the middle of a school year.

Anyway, thought I would mention those things, might be something to add to your arguments to homeschool!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!