New to T4L

Thread: New to T4L

FergyGirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile New to T4L

Hello Everyone,

I am new to T4L and could use all the help I can get with figuring out how to use it, and use it to best fit my kiddos.

A little background on us, I am home schooling 5 munchkins. I have 2 preschoolers, a 1st grader, 3rd grader, and 4th grader. I had been using a charter school but last year their workload became insanely intense and my kids and I were hating school. We literally were glued to our chairs from morning until night trying to get done all of the lessons, activities, and extra lessons (designed for SAT prep), that we became so overwhelmed we all just shut down when it came to school. It was such a nightmare!

Because of how bad last school year was for us my kids are a little behind. I pulled them out of the charter school and have been trying to catch them up by doing my own thing, which wasn't working out as well as I had hoped it would. Imagine my excitement when I came across T4L. I literally burst into tears as I saw all that this site had to offer my kids -everything I have been trying to do myself. I am super excited to do this with my kids but a little overwhelmed with how it all works and how to do it for each kid.

My 3rd grader has a mild form of Dyslexia and struggles with reading a whole lot, etc. How can I utilize T4L the very best way for her? Also, since my kids are a little behind from last year should I have them go to the grade below for some review and catch up? If so will that make them a year behind?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long each lesson should take? It seemed like my 3rd and 4th graders were on it forever today and I just wanted to know if that was because it was their first day or if that is normal.

If anyone has a good schedule that they can recommend I would greatly appreciate any ideas I can get on how to get everyone through their assignments at a reasonable pace and time frame.

Also, how do I setup lesson plans for the kids or is it best to go with what is setup already? And can I use this program throughout the Summer, I really need to catch them up - if that is even possible. I have to say, I feel like I failed them last year and I don't want my kids to hate learning and hate school. I don't want them to spend hours on schoolwork because the work load is so intense. *SIGH* I just want a happy and positive learning experience for us all and last year kind of ruined it for my kids so I am hoping T4L can help us get back the excitement we once had with home schooling.

Anyhow, I've rambled on long enough. Thanks so much for the help!

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning.com. First you have not failed your children. They are right where they need to be at home with you! Second there is lots of help here for you. I recommend you stop by a few different forums to get some more detailed help.

Stop by the California forum to know what is going on in your state.
    Stop by the Members Chat on Using Time4Learning.com forum, here you can get more detail on how to move forward in using t4ling.

We school year round that has always helped us to keep up. I recommend you follow the arrows for assignments. My own son had issues w/ dyslexia and being able to replay lessons and having the lessons read to him have helped him move forward.
    Here is another article on dyslexia that might help you with that too.

Again welcome to time4learning.com
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

SassyLassyTour is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi! Welcome! I am new to T4L too! I totally feel where you are coming from. We used an online charter school for years and just recently decided to leave them & go solo! My daughter was having trouble in math and the school just wanted her to keep moving forward regardless. Instead of slowing down to master that area, the teacher wanted her to move forward AND do extra math to catch up. Well that plan backfired and just made my daughter hate math even more. I knew in my heart that if we just slowed down and practiced more in that area that it would eventually click for her.I would say for scheduling lessons for the kiddos to go with what you feel your kids can handle without being overwhelmed. Today was our first day using T4L and I just had my daughter do 1 activity from each subject, spelling, and reading out loud from a book of her choice. I would play it by ear and add to or reduce when needed. I did a search on this very subject earlier today:
    Parent Community and Forum - Index (Hopefully the links works. I just did a search on the forum to see what others are doing.)

Hope that helps!

~Lis

FergyGirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you Strouse House for your input and encouragement. I will try your suggestion on the reading with my daughter, she loves to read but on the days when her Dyslexia isn't the best she feels frustrated. I will also check out that article you gave me for Dyslexia. Thanks again for the input and encouragement!