New to T4L, need advice for a newbie
    mrs.shamblin is offline Junior Member

Default New to T4L, need advice for a newbie

I was doing a lesson today with my son using vocabulary words. I wanted him to use a dictionary to look up the meaning of each word. My son is now in 4th grade, and had no clue how to use a dictionary. At what age/grade do teachers teach this skill? I was under the impression that dictionary skills were taught early on in school. Am I wrong??

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hmmm...that's an excellent question, lol. My oldest has been homeschooled since 1st grade and my youngest has never been in public school. They could both use a dictionary by grade 2. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea when this is addressed in T4L because it's something that I taught them early on... :/

I'm with you. I think it should be a very early taught skill.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

magicalmom is offline Junior Member

Hello and welcome to the T4L. I understand you concern and frustration with your son's lack of dictionary skills. Interestingly enough there are many skills that get pushed to the side as the educational system rushes the process of increased accelerated learning. Multiplication tables, cursive writing, dictionary skills, social problem solving skills....and the list goes on. However you have taken action and now have the freedom to teach at your childs level of learning. Look at his learning style, strengths and weakness, is he paper and pen or visual.....you can pick and choose what and how you want to create his education. T4L offers three grade levels per student, which I am very thankful for, as we use multiple levels for different subjects. If they struggle at the higher level we go back a grade. There are many websites that offer free print out worksheets that could help him build some skills. We all wish you well and hope your son enjoys his T4L program.
    Magical mom (Amy)
    homeschooling Elizabeth 13 and Donna 11 (graduated home education in 2012 Vivian)