• 2 Post By justcallmecrazy
  • 1 Post By Adrienne
  • 1 Post By BASHhomeschool
  • 1 Post By Tiffani Hendricks Wood
  • 1 Post By justcallmecrazy

Thread: New to T4L - from TX

justcallmecrazy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to T4L - from TX

Hi all! We are new to T4L as I needed a way for my kids to do homeschooling without me planning and such, due to an injury that I sustained. We were using workbooks, worksheets and other resources for our schooling, but I found myself unable to concentrate long enough to plan anything. Hopefully this program will help.

About us: there are two boy ages 12 and 10; and one girl (sometimes two) age 6. This is the first year of homeschooling for the boys, but the girl has been doing it the entire time. Actually she was more unschooled (which I really enjoyed) so this is the first year doing "school" with her. Sometimes I have my great-niece who started out in PS but was withdrawn and is supposed to be homeschooled.

We live in South Texas and raise our own chickens for eggs and meat. We look forward to meeting those that live close to us.

If there's any advice to be given about homeschooling or even this program, please feel free to give it.
    bailbrae and BASHhomeschool like this.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums and to homeschooling. It is an exciting wonderful experience. You might want to check out the new to homeschooling guide and of course go to your state forum. There is also a getting started guide. Read through the forums. Ask questions. Find a good local support group. Relax.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Adrienne is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi everyone, My name is Adrienne, I have a 4 year old son and a 3 year old daughter and am in the Houston, Tx area. I am just starting to research Home Schooling and am kind of overwhelmed! Any info would help, what should I be looking for in K-1st grade? Where do I start?

Thanks!
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Adrienne! Welcome! I would say the first thing you can do, is check out the Texas homeschool laws, just so you know what the state expects from homeschoolers.

After that, just poke around the forums here. Talk to other homeschoolers, read more about learning styles (to help you find programs/materials that would work well with how your children learn), etc. Have your kiddos play around with some fun, but educational games (my boys both loved the games at Learning Games For Kids). Also, Kathi referenced some great resources/links in the post right about yours.

Good luck!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

BASHhomeschool is offline Junior Member

We also live on acreage and raise chickens, rabbits and soon to be goats and cattle. Welcome! We just started a new secular homeschool group Facebook.com/BASHhomeschool...we would love for you to join us if it is a good fit.
    bailbrae likes this.

Tiffani Hendricks Wood is offline Junior Member Newbie

justcallmecrazy, where in south Texas are you from? I'm about 30 minutes north of Corpus Christi in Aransas Pass. My daughter is 7 years old and in the 1st grade. I had her in public school until just a couple of weeks ago and decided that it wasn't helping her. She has severe ADHD and ODD (on medication) and her teacher wasn't willing to help her. She is very smart, kept straight A's all year and reads on a 3rd grade level. But with her issues, she acts out when she gets bored and the teacher wasn't willing to give her extra work. So here we are, trying this out. Just in the past 10 days that she has been enrolled in T4L she has already completed a months worth of work on her own.
    bailbrae likes this.

justcallmecrazy is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm about 30 miles south of San Antonio. I did join the BASH group and am looking forward to meeting more people.
    bailbrae likes this.