New to Tennessee, Homeschooling, and Time4Learning. Hi!!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By katshu2

Thread: New to Tennessee, Homeschooling, and Time4Learning. Hi!!

Camino75 is offline Junior Member

Smile New to Tennessee, Homeschooling, and Time4Learning. Hi!!

Hello Everyone!

Our family recently moved to Tennessee from Pennsylvania in July. We had always been very happy with our school district and our children's school. My oldest son (11) always loved school and did very well. My youngest son (7) only had a year under his belt but he was the same way.. always smiling, and happy and he did very well. In August all three of my children started school here. Common Core started at their school as well. It didn't take long for the smiles to fade on my boys. My daughter (5), who is my youngest, is doing well despite all of the testing she has. But I want more for her than testing. Common Core set aside, our current school district will not work for my family. To put it in pleasant terms, it's just not a good fit.

I had originally planned to pull my oldest son out first to home school, then take my youngest two out next year. That way I would have extra time to get acclimated since this is all new to me. That plan has since changed and I want all three of them out asap. This coming Friday will be their last day in public school. I decided to go with Time4learning and Home Life Academy after weeks of research. Both names came up so many times compared to other CRC's and curriculum and I found that most of these great experiences were being expressed by Homeschoolers who had been doing this for years.

I have been on the Tennessee board ( I will post there later), and read the "How to Homeschool". I've been searching for a local (West Tn) homeschool group but I haven't found one yet that wouldn't involve a few hours of driving one way. Even still, I would invest the gas if it worked out since we are new to the state and don't really know anyone here yet.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction. I appreciate any tips or advice for a new Accidental Homeschooler. Have a great night!

-Kim

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Kim, and welcome! We are accidental homeschoolers too. I pulled my son out in 2005, and we haven't looked back since.

I will say that you may want to take a little time to de-school, and get used to the idea of learning at home. I pulled my son out on a Friday and tried to start homeschooling the following Monday. We struggled for a long while. I didn't know what I was doing, he was scattered and distracted all the time because I had disturbed his routine...it was just stressful. If you take a little time to acclimate to the fact that you will probably be able to set your own bedtime and morning wake up schedules, and that you can do school in PJs if you wanted, lol, you may be able to ease into your own routines.

I'm so glad that you are poking around the boards here, and getting comfortable. I hope you'll continue to jump into conversations and introduce yourself when and where you're able! Here is a really great Hints and Help page that can help you learn a little more about the site (navigating, using lesson plans and activity schedule, etc.).

Thanks so much for your introduction. Looking forward to seeing you around the boards...
    Camino75 likes this.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Camino75 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, Katie!

That's really good advice for starting out. I really appreciate it. I have been really anxious about next week. This is a big change for all of us and I really want to make their first week great... all of their weeks really..lol.

Can I ask how the conversation went with your son when you told him that you were going to homeschool? My oldest spent too many mornings crying over that school and the things that were going on so he's really happy about it.
    When I sat my youngest two down, I'm not sure that they understood what I meant. I spoke with them a few more times since then and my youngest son said that he's going to miss his friends. I told him that he would still be able to see them, just not at school.

-Kim

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

My son was 6 and fairly unhappy with school, so he handled it ok. He wasn't sure how it was going to go, and he wanted to make sure he still had chances to play with friends. We assured him we would do everything we could to make sure he was happy. It helped that my sister in law was homeschooling at that point, and he was familiar with it. I would try to get your kiddos together with their friends as soon as you can, once you pull them out of school...that way they can see that the friend thing won't be as bad as they think. Hopefully you'll find a local group too.

Good luck! Please make sure to check back in next week and let us know how things went!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!