Newbie from Huntington Beach, CA
    Amber.T is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Newbie from Huntington Beach, CA

Well, what can I say, it's been a crazy past two months! We are a marine corps family, stationed out of recruiting office Long Beach in November 2011. So we have been here in HB for about two years now, and one of the MAIN reasons we moved to this uber-expensive city was for the "good schools." I did my research. I went onto the school data websites etc etc and found a home within walking distance to a top notch public elementary school. My daughter (now six) finished up kindergarten and over the summer we worked on her Summer Bridge workbook together and read a million books. Now she's in first grade in a class with 29 other kids and is grossly under-stimulated! Teacher says she is performing academically at second grade levels (reading, sight words, spelling, great handwriting, great art, etc) but Isabella is getting into trouble because, well, she's BORED. She finishes her work and has to doodle while she waits for her peers to finish. Her teacher is not patient with Isabella even though she is a really good girl, with much love for Jesus and kind to all people. So here we are, two months in and I'm ready to get her out! If you would've asked me two months ago if I'd homeschool my kids, I would've honestly answered "no, I couldn't do it." But when push comes to shove, us moms gotta do what we gotta do! Thank God my husband has a special duty assignment where he's working twelve hour days, forcing me to not be able to work (child care is expensive here as well, especially for two young kids). So here I am, on a homeschooling forum, introducing myself. I am 33, I also have a son who is 4, and I have experience teaching in a preschool classroom and I have always had high interest in educating my kids. I never considered homeschooling though, more like just supplementing their education. Now I am in the process of finding a PSP school to enroll in (on a tight budget!) and hoping to figure out what kind of curriculum we will be buying. Am strongly considering Cedar Lane Academy and saw a few posts on here about that school but that's as far as I've gotten so far. Looking forward to meeting parents and hearing any advice they might have for a newbie!

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome! It sounds like you have the homeschool calling for sure. You are seeing what your daughter needs and you understand you can give it to her. Homeschooling does not have to be under a private school or an umbrella school. Each state has its own laws but it is legal to homeschool in every state. I recommend you check out How to Home School Guide and maybe check out the Military Families forum and California Forum.

Try to take a deep breath and not get overwhelmed by what is out there. Some parents even let their children help with the curriculum choices. (mom and dad having final say) Our family has done that in the past.

Again Welcome and I hope to see you around the boards.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums Amber. I want to second the forums that Brandy mentioned. They are all great. You are so right, moms got to do what moms got to do. I so remember those days of being bored out of my mind in school while I waited for everyone else to catch up. It's not fun. Pulling her out may be the best thing you ever do for her. Blessings on your journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota