Newbie In Texas! (and a spelling question)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By katshu2

Thread: Newbie In Texas! (and a spelling question)

christybuc is offline Junior Member

Default Newbie In Texas! (and a spelling question)

Hi! My name is Christy and we are starting our first year of homeschooling next week I have 2 girls, a first grader and a third grader.

I am looking at the spelling words for my girls and wondering which words are a good place to start? Is there a way to make the words they learn to spell have some relation to what they are currently learning in LA? What does everyone do with their spelling?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Christy! Glad you found us! Since you said this is your first time homeschooling, you might find this Welcome to Homeschooling ebook to be a good resource.

If you're looking at the spelling lists by grade level, I think they are in the spelling lessons in the la extensions. Also, you could import those words into word lists over at VocabularySpellingCity. That is hands down my favorite website for spelling (and vocabulary, and even making handwriting worksheets)!! I don't even get any resistance from my boys with that site! You can create a FREE account, and start importing the words. Just make each list however long you want it. Alternatively, you can look for lists already shared by other members.

I have used the Time4Learning words for our spelling, but I also use TONS of the lists already shared. My boys will even look for lists on their own. Granted, those lists revolve around The Hobbit, Harry Potter and Pokemon, but at least they are taking the initiative with it.
    Last edited by bailbrae; 08-18-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    christybuc likes this.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Miss Beth 1981 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bailbrae View Post
    Hi Christy! Glad you found us! Since you said this is your first time homeschooling, you might find this Welcome to Homeschooling ebook to be a good resource.

If you're looking at the spelling lists by grade level, I think they are in the spelling lessons in the la extensions. Also, you could import those words into word lists over at VocabularySpellingCity. That is hands down my favorite website for spelling (and vocabulary, and even making handwriting worksheets)!! I don't even get any resistance from my boys with that site! You can create a FREE account, and start importing the words. Just make each list however long you want it. Alternatively, you can look for lists already shared by other members.

I have used the Time4Learning words for our spelling, but I also use TONS of the lists already shared. My boys will even look for lists on their own. Granted, those lists revolve around The Hobbit, Harry Potter and Pokemon, but at least they are taking the initiative with it.
    Hello, I'm new around here as well and had the same question regarding spelling lists. I like spellingcity.com and will utilize the free part as long as I can. I'm just wondering...

Do you just do spelling words during the unit the LA extension has it? It looks to only be in one unit. I'd prefer to have spelling all year long.

My son is in 4th grade.