Not new to homeschooling but going to do 30 day trial here
    crunchynerd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Not new to homeschooling but going to do 30 day trial here

Hi everyone! 40 year old mother of 3 here (8 going on 9, 5 1/2, and 2 1/2)
    My eldest (DD) is turning 9 at the beginning of fall, and has a brother turning 6 in late Fall, and another brother who turns 3 after New Year.
    We're not new to homeschooling (my kids have never gone to school) but we only went official 2 years ago, the fall my DD turned 7 (because that is when the State requires submitting intentions to homeschool, and why go on the books any sooner than necessary?).

Even though I find it unnecessary to refer to my kids as being in a grade, since they don't go to school, since just about everyone we meet is uncomfortable with just referring to a kid's age instead, I could say 3rd or 4th grade is what she's going into this year, and I guess I would say 4th because even though she'd be one of the youngest 4th graders, she's emotionally and intellectually compatible with girls a couple of years older, so calling her at a mature 9, a 3rd grader, would seem weird. Though it would have advantages, because at the NASA Challenger Center and other places, they categorize kids according to grade, and K-3 means her brother and she could be in the same class, whereas calling her 4th grade, means they couldn't, and that would be inconvenient.

We use the Soroban Abacus for arithmetic and our goal is to achieve Anzan or the practice of mental abacus. I'm looking into Trachtenberg method for multiplication without rote memorization of tables, because coming by rote through frequent use and application is one thing, but "learning" entirely by rote is something I would like to avoid.

We'll see if this system is something we'd like to continue with. 30 days ought to be enough to tell, and the nice thing is, after that, it's pay-as-you-go.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Parent Forums. I started out with a 30 day trial to see how it would go and if my son would like it. Well, six years later we are still using time4learning. I think it's a great program. And you are so right about the low pay as you go fee. Certainly is better than shelling out hundreds of dollars and then deciding you don't like it.

Please let us know if there is anything that we can help with. You might also want to check out your state's forum. Just go to the drop down menu at the top of this page that says state forums and then click on your state.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Crunchynerd. Cute name.

Same as Kathi, we started about 4 years ago and still going strong. Our daughter loves T4L. She loved the animated and interactive lessons from the get-go. Because she took on to it immediately and it was so easy to navigate, I didn't get on T4L and look around at all the things it has to offer, like the playground, which can be used as a reward for completed lessons. Since she was doing her lessons without a fuss, I didn't find this extra little icing on the cake until much later. I think sometimes a month is not long enough to really get a complete feel for T4L if we don't get the time to navigate the site and get to know all the features it has to offer. Another thing I didn't know the first few months is that there are worksheets offered for some of the lessons.

When you're at the main page, check out the tabs at the top, like FAQs, Site Map, the different Forums. Here's a link to the Site Index, which has information such as a list of games, the scope and sequence for each grade level, and other helpful information. Lastly, here are some Tips and Helps that may make using T4L easier. Notice some additional information on the left side of the page at that link too.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums. Let us know if you have any questions we can answer.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass