Not sure where to start...
    pjsbuckaroos is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Not sure where to start...

Hi All....my name is Karla and I am in Texas...I have a 4 year old son who is disabled but learns things fairly quick. I am thinking of home schooling him...which I never in my life thought I would do...however I am not very impressed with our schools programs for kids with disabilities so i am feeling this is the road we must travel. I have been doing a lot of searching on home schooling and it is so overwhelming I have no idea where to even start. I am very open to any suggestions anyone may have...how did any of you pick a curriculum when from what I can see can be very confusing to a newbie. Thank you in advance for any help you may offer me. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Karla

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Karla. Welcome to time4learning and to the wonderful world of homeschooling. My son is now nine years old. He has never been to school. We kind of stumbled across time4learning very early in our homeschooling days and it has stuck. I never tried any other curriculum. For me, it was all spelled out for me. I didn't have to research anything. The price was pretty good. And it even keeps records for me. Those things all made it an easy choice for me. My daughter is one of those people who is always looking for something better. She has spent thousands of dollars on various curriculum. But she always seems to come back to time4learning. She has three children who are homeschooling. I think it's important to look at what type of learner your child is. And how much time do you want to spend in prep work. My son loves the interactive video games. So this works for us.

You probably will want to check out the Texas Parent Forum. They have a lot more knowledge of the laws in Texas than I do. Also the Getting Started Guide would be good to look at. Good luck on your search and this new way of life.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Karla! Like Kathi, I stumbled upon Time4Learning. At the time, we were using a complete, boxed curriculum (an expensive one too...one that we couldn't afford so my parents had to buy for us) but we hated it. The year before that, I had pieced together different workbooks and worksheets. That didn't work either. Once we tried T4L, we just knew it was the right fit. That was five years ago, lol.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may not know what you are even looking for, as far curricula goes, until you find it. Know that you aren't alone in your nervousness or in your concerns. Kathi recommended some great links above; the only thing I would add is to poke around all of the forums on the boards here and see what and who you find.

Good luck! Please keep us posted as to how things are going with you and your son...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!