Our First Day Of Homeschooling
    chloesmom1124 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Our First Day Of Homeschooling

My name is Amii. I am a stay at home mom to an 8 year old named Chloe and a 7 month old named Spencer. Chloe is a third grader and today was our first attempt at homeschooling. I'm extremely nervous, as her education is so valuable to me. I didn't sleep last night and all day I have second guessed every step that I make. I'm trying not to beat myself up and Chloe's enthusiasm is helping. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is going to be a good year for us. Positive thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated. Here's to our new adventure!!

kelley2387 is offline Junior Member

Congrats on taking the "leap" into homeschooling. It is very stressful but you will get into a routine and it will get better. That is awesome that your daughter is so enthused about school, I know that does make all the difference. Don't beat yourself up and try not to second guess yourself, I am sure you are making all the right choices! I know all of that is easier said than done right! lol

I am sending positive thoughts your way and I am sure you will have an awesome year! Just think, you will be a pro by the time your littlest is ready!

rickvon2010 is offline Member

Amii, I was nervous the first day too! Soon I learned that homeschooling is exactly what my daughter needed. She needed an environment that went at her extremely fast learning pace and rewards and positive reinforcement to back up her learning style. All kids do not learn the same and that is what is awesome about homeschooling, we get to tailor the educational process for each individual child! You will do great and this will be a great year for your family!
    Rick Von Linsowe, MS
    Air Force Family
    Homeschooling Dad of one 1st grade Princess

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello, everyone! How wonderful to see us encouraging one another! I have been homeschooling since 2005, and I still get nervous sometimes...especially at the beginning of each year, lol. It's alright, I've learned to embrace it and turn it into our annual "Mommy's freaking out, it must be back to school" tradition.

Good luck to you all! Always feel free to ask any questions you find yourselves having, and I do hope you'll all check back in and let us know how things are going.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

BoandGin is offline Junior Member

Hi! I'm brand new to homeschooling, too. This is our first week. My daughter is in 2nd grade, and has actually done very well in a public school setting. We (luckily) don't have some of the horror stories that others have, but the school that we're zoned for is underperforming, and with the new cirriculum coming into public schools here this year, my husband really wanted our daughter out of the public school system. I struggled with this decision for a long time, terrified that I'm going to miss out on things, not know "how" to teach her, be too much mom and not enough teacher, be too much teacher and not enough mom, but socialization has been my biggest fear. My daughter is such a social butterfly, I worry about her not having as much time with friends/peers to interact with. She's very active in the children's group at church, and I'm anxiously awaiting the local homeschool co-op to start their new "school year" schedule in September. Right now, that seems to be the only drawback. She's been doing well with her lessons and studies, but she's finished long before any of the other neighborhood kids are home from school, so there's not too many people to play with at the moment. Trying to keep busy, have been to the museum already, have plans to hit up the library too, and we welcome any other suggestions from veteran homeschoolers!

I'm thankful for this site. Everything seemed SO very overwhelming - choosing the right cirriculum... Did I send my letter off correctly?... How do I manage a portfolio?... How much is enough?... How much is TOO much?... Where do I even START with planning a year?... But then I used the activity scheduler, and printed the lesson plans. With that I was able to use T4L as our core cirriculum and I supplement with sheets from workbooks that I bought, just to reinforce everything. I got my entire year planned faster than I could've ever imagined. I told a friend in a similar situation (just this morning!) to check out this site, and told her "it's Homeschooling for Dummies", thank goodness! My rookie nerves are finally calming down a little.

Thanks for everything!
    Ginger

rickvon2010 is offline Member

Ginger, I have been doing T4L for about a month now and my kindergarten daughter is almost completely finished with the curriculum for the school year. Now that I understand she is fast paced and can learn a wealth of information in a short period of time, I have added a second curriculum (Timberdoodle) . I do school M-TH and review on Fridays. If she finishes T4L and is ready for the next grade I will move her up and keep feeding her the information. It sounds like you are doing a great job. Check on Facebook for local homeschool groups to keep your daughter socialized! My little girl is a social butterfly also, and I would not want her to lose her outgoing nature.
    Rick Von Linsowe, MS
    Air Force Family
    Homeschooling Dad of one 1st grade Princess