Overseas Homeschooler
    aellis2006 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Overseas Homeschooler

Hello All!

I have been homeschooling my daughter for the past 2 1/2 years utilizing the K12 curriculum while living overseas. Prior to homeschooling my daughter attended school in the state of Florida. I informed them prior to leaving the state that I wanted to homeschool my daughter because I would be going overseas indefinitely with my husband due to his job. I was informed by the state that they would not be able to allow me to register under their homeschooling program and I was pretty much on my own.

My daughter has been doing very well homeschooling but I am still uncertain as to what records I should be maintaining overtime to ensure I don't have any issues once we return back to the United States. So, I've just been keeping all of her work in binders.

We recently had a new addition to the family and K12 curriculum is becoming very overwhelming. I'm not able to spend as many hours with my daughter as I did before. She will start 4th grade this year and I need a program where she can work independently as much as possible. It seems as though this program may work for us, although I did not see any information online regarding books; does the program come with book materials or is everything online?

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Hi, there! Welcome to Time4Learning! I've been homeschooling since 1999 and using T4L since 2004. The curriculum is all online, so there are no books. There may be book suggestions or novels needed in the high school level and we often found those at our local library. The curriculum also includes some printable worksheets. These are great for writing practice and reinforcing skills learned. Hope that helps!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello! You mght want also want to try posting on the International Families section of this forum.

As far as registering her at a public school if you return to the states . . . until high school, most schools will simply enroll a previously homeschooled student at the grade level that corresponds to their age. Once they reach high school, it can take some negotiating to get homeschooled work accepted for credit. Time4Learning does provide printable reports that you can generate at any time from your parent account. They are for the parent's information and they do not "officially" bear any more weight than handwritten reports you have written yourself, but they are usually useful for negotiation with school personnel. There are no laws regarding what public schools must or may not accept for credit, so it often comes down to the opinion of the individual you are speaking with at the school.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!