Overwhelmed pappa
    SlowBro is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Overwhelmed pappa

Hello! My wife had been homeschooling our kids. I always knew they were behind other kids their age, but I found out this week the oldest son is four grade levels behind. The middle son is three behind, and the youngest, our daughter, is one grade behind. This is alarming. I don't want them getting out into this big world unprepared. The oldest has just a few years to go before he is able to be on his own.

So I know my wife is struggling and that I need to step in and take the helm. But I am the family breadwinner, with one full-time job and am starting a business on the side, not to mention fighting remnants of chronic fatigue. So this will be tough.

The boys both have slight learning disabilities (diagnosed with minor amounts of dyslexia), and the youngest is diagnosed high functioning autistic. She is already under a lot of therapy and tutoring so I mainly need to focus on the boys. We are in Florida and registered in unschooling, so there is flexibility.

I believe in the merits of unschooling, yet at the same time I don't want them to not have at least a medium amount of skill in math, reading, writing, science, and history. The world is competitive, and they need at least a medium level to not miss out on a great deal.

I have signed the boys up for T4L. They had it before under their mom's direction so I had them log in and pick up where they left off. However, I am not sure how to assess their learning styles, find the right curriculum, and join a co-op this late in the year. Any help would be appreciated.

MJ510 is offline Member

Default Re: Overwhelmed pappa

It sounds like you certainly have a lot on your plate but please know you will be able to help them catch up. There are Time4Learning Families transitioning from public school in the same boat for one or more subjects.

I'm certain this has created stress which the kids may be feeling. Encourage them to ignore the grade level but drop them back to a far lower level and have them work through the end of chapter tests to determine a starting point and help build confidence. You may even find they are at different levels for different subjects. That's doable as well. From your Parent Dashboard you can set the default wherever you need. (If you need to adjust subjects by more than one grade level simply contact the support team. They can help!)

Using Time4Learning, from your Parent Dashboard you will have access to a number of reports which can help you see when they log in, how long they are spending on each activity / lesson, and grades earned. This can serve as accountability to help keep everyone on the same page.

To help ease some of the pressure, you (or your wife?) can mix in some fun hands-on activities, separate unit studies, etc. You'll find many timely and fun learning resources featured on our Time4Learning Facebook Page. (You both can also find encouragement for you!)

Please know I wish you and your family all the best! If you have further questions or simply need support, please post again!

~Missy

MJ510 is offline Member

Found something else for you! You may also find this free "Welcome to Homeschooling" guide helpful! It offers a good overview of homeschooling, types of curriculum, learning styles, teaching methods and much more!

"Welcome to Homeschooling" Guide for Families

asnmdirteha is offline Junior Member

Don't be overwhelmed! When you guys were homeschooling them what type of curriculum did you guys use? A lot of times with homeschooling we use a big variety as we never know how the school system will change without us realizing. A useful tool might be Beestar which we've been using also.

KarenBridges is offline Junior Member

If your budget allows for a private tutor or two, this could also be a great quick fix - a good tutor can make a world of difference in one or two years.