Reasons to homeschool
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN

Thread: Reasons to homeschool

Jennifer1672 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Reasons to homeschool

Hi. I'm thinking that homeschooling is the best way to help my 15 year old daughter. She was fine in middle school, but high school is difficult for her. She takes physics, English, government, and Spanish. The classes are almost 2 hours long, and a lot is crammed into those two hours. She is struggling for the first time ever, leading to depression. I want her to love learning again. Does anyone else have a similar experience? I want to do the right thing, but I'm not certain that my reasons are right.
    Any help would be appreciated!!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

It sounds like her school is using block scheduling. I can't stand block scheduling at the high school level. If you are very sick and miss a week of school, you are so far behind that it is difficult if not impossible for the teacher to get the student caught up. High schoolers are not college students. They are not there because they paid for the privilege but because it is mandatory. High schools are set up as a 4 year gig with very little leeway for juggling your schedule.

Block scheduling is something that may work well in a tutoring or homeschooling situation for a high school student who does better focusing on fewer subjects, but in an institutional situation with the time restraint of 1 semester to finish a class intended for a full year it is very difficult for teachers to keep a class of students moving forward at that speed. If a student or even if the majority of the class is having trouble with a topic, the teacher must continue moving forward in order to complete the course within a semester. Bleh!

Now that my rant is about block scheduling is over, T4L is an elementary school program and your dd is already taking classes beyond what T4L offers. You may should post in your state forum about options in your state for homeschooling high school. Also, The Well Trained Mind Forums have a very active high school board and you could ask over there.

Sorry your dd is having a hard time and hope that you find a good fit for your family!
    Mandy
    bailbrae likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Jennifer, and welcome! I wish I could offer better advice, but my oldest homeschooler is just in 8th grade.

Mandy gave you great advice, though. I would definitely check out your state homeschool group here...see if anyone has anything to offer. There is also a great site that's newer - Let's Homeschool High School. They have a great forum (for both parents and students), as well as helpful articles, a curricula and resource directory and more.

Good luck.Please keep us posted as to how things are going with you guys!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Gracekelly is offline Junior Member

Hello everyone. I just arrived here to the T4L forum. We are in the middle of our third full year of hs. Is anyone from Iowa? I went over to the Iowa group, but the posts are pretty old. I was really looking forward to finding some support as there is nothing here where we live. Would love to chat. My DD is in 4th grade. We haven't used T4L for atleast 2 1/2 years. I thought mixing it up a little bit would help. We start back on Monday 1/7 from Christmas break.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gracekelly View Post
    Hello everyone. I just arrived here to the T4L forum. We are in the middle of our third full year of hs. Is anyone from Iowa? I went over to the Iowa group, but the posts are pretty old. I was really looking forward to finding some support as there is nothing here where we live. Would love to chat. My DD is in 4th grade. We haven't used T4L for atleast 2 1/2 years. I thought mixing it up a little bit would help. We start back on Monday 1/7 from Christmas break.
    Hi and welcome! Some of the groups can be inactive for periods of time, but it would be great if you introduced yourself in the Iowa group...maybe some other members will chime in to say hello!

Looking forward to chatting with you...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!